FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

Stratix V IO pins in bank C & D cannot ramp to 3.3V when VCCIO is source with 3.3V

jkhoo
Employee

Why is there difference in voltage level in bank 3C/3D IO pins when setting the current strength between 8mA, 12mA versus 16mA? I am expecting 3.3V on the IO pins but only get 1.5V when setting the current strength to either 8mA and 12mA.

Setting -1 for PINMAP_3C* and PINMAP_3D* :

IO_STANDARD "3.3-V LVCMOS"

CURRENT_STRENGTH_NEW 8MA or 12MA

VCCIO source with 3.3V

Voltage measurement on IO pins in bank 3C and 3D only get 1.5V

Setting -2 for PINMAP_3C* and PINMAP_3D* :

IO_STANDARD "3.3-V LVCMOS"

CURRENT_STRENGTH_NEW 16MA

VCCIO source with 3.3V

Voltage measurement on IO pins in bank 3C and 3D only get 3.3V

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Did you get any error message when trying to change the current strength settings?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
jkhoo
Employee

i did not get any error message.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

I would suggest you check the board if there is possible leakage short to the ground on those pins.

The 16mA current setting may override the leakage current that is why you can get 3.3v on the pins compared to 8mA and 12mA.

0 Kudos
jkhoo
Employee

Stratix V : 5SGXMA3K3F40C4

Voltage and Current strength setting in .qsf file

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "3.3-V LVCMOS" -to PINMAP_3C*
set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "3.3-V LVCMOS" -to PINMAP_3D*
set_instance_assignment -name CURRENT_STRENGTH_NEW 12MA -to PINMAP_3C*
set_instance_assignment -name CURRENT_STRENGTH_NEW 12MA -to PINMAP_3D*

VCCPD = 3.0V (Follow Stratix V spec from 2.85V to 3.15V)

VCCIO = 3.3V (Exceed Stratix V spec from 2.85V to 3.15V)

IO pins being measured are from bank/PINMAP_3C.

This pins are routed out from FPGA in the PCB but is not connected to a load. Means no possibility of board leakage since it is not connected to any load.

We are able to measured an expected 3.0V on the IO pins when VCCPD = 3.0V and VCCIO = 3.0V with current strength 8mA, 12mA & 16mA. This clearly prove that the PCB routing on the IO pins with no load has no leakage.

When we increase VCCIO = 3.3V while maintaining VCCPD = 3.0V, we saw an anomaly as follow :

8mA current strength : IO pins measured 1.25V (expect 3.3V)

12mA current strength : IO pins measured 1.56V (expect 3.3V)

16mA current strength : IO pins measured 3.29V

My Question is as follow:

1. You mention that 16mA current strength override the leakage protection circuit. Will the IO pins in this FPGA continue to function per normal?

2. Why did the 8mA and 12mA turn-on leakage protection circuit when the IO pins in Bank 3C is not connected to any load?

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

I think it may have something with the VCCPD as it is used to power the 

I/O pre-drivers.

I checked the Pin Connection Guidelines for Stratix V; however, it is only mentioned on the 3.0V and not 3.3V.

The voltage on VCCPD is dependent on the VCCIO voltage. 

When VCCIO is 3.0V, VCCPD must be 3.0V.

When VCCIO is 2.5V or less, VCCPD must be 2.5V

0 Kudos
jkhoo
Employee

I am aware that the Pin Connection Guidelines for Stratix V stated that the recommended operating voltage 3.0V up to 3.15V and there is no mention of stratix V supporting 3.3V. One can argue that our design violated the recommended operating voltage, which may potential cause the IO pins (set at current strength of 8mA and 12 mA) unable to ramp up to 3.3V. But what puzzle me is that, why the IO pins behave differently when set at 16mA, where the IO pins is able to ramp to 3.3V.

I am also thinking, whether should i increase VCCPD from 3.0V to 3.3V, matching VCCPD to VCCIO at 3.3V. I wonder what will be the outcome?

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

I would suggest you to not trying something out of spec as it is not guaranteed for the performance and might damaging the device.

I can suggest you use lever shifter to convert signal to 3.3v as this is safer implementation. Lever shifter is an external component to convert signal voltage level.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos
jkhoo
Employee

Noted on the recommendation.

Last question, is there any documented description of why IO pins voltage can operate in 3.3V when setting the current strenght to 16mA?

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Behaviour beyond specified operation conditions is undefined and unlikely described in a document. I would first check if the device operates expectedly with legal VCCIO value. If not, the IO pin is either damaged or externally overloaded.

0 Kudos