FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Stratix development board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are boards without transceivers with a budget of 1000€?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look on the Terasic site. They list the price of all the Altera boards. 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=13&list=simple 

I do not see any Stratix boards for under USD$1100, but there are some Arria and Cyclone boards. 

What Stratix feature did you need? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Dave, 

I am searching an FPGA with a fast logic for HPC, also 1100$ is ok but lower cost I see is Altera DE3 that cost 1800$ + VAT. 

Maybe I can go with an Arria.. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am searching an FPGA with a fast logic for HPC 

--- Quote End ---  

Any FPGA board is good for HPC. 

--- Quote Start ---  

also 1100$ is ok but lower cost I see is Altera DE3 that cost 1800$ + VAT. 

Maybe I can go with an Arria.. 

--- Quote End ---  

You're not doing your shopping correctly. 

First determine what sort of HPC you want to do, eg., do you need OpenCL support, do you need PCIe support, do you need Ethernet support, etc.  

Then look at boards with those features, then create a design for one of those boards, and see if you can place-and-route your HPC application. 

Then and-only-then do you decide to buy a board. 

Otherwise you're just wasting your time. What happens when the board arrives and it does not do what you want? Do your research *before* you buy a board. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Dave, 

Sorry for my shortness before, I already have a design tested on Cyclone V and I want to improve fmax upgrading to Stratix. From Quartus Subscription trial I have seen improvements on these high-end devices. 

I don't need PCIe, Ethernet, Transceivers, etc.. only uart to usb to receive and send a few bytes.. 

I don't need to buy the dev-board with stratix but only to compare pc-based solution with fpga-based solution at same price (1k$) with TimeQuest and see what fmax I can get for now with device of 1k dev-board :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I already have a design tested on Cyclone V and I want to improve fmax upgrading to Stratix. From Quartus Subscription trial I have seen improvements on these high-end devices. 

--- Quote End ---  

Ok. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't need PCIe, Ethernet, Transceivers, etc.. only uart to usb to receive and send a few bytes.. 

--- Quote End ---  

There aren't really any boards with Stratix devices that are that simple ... They're a very expensive FPGA, so most development kits include lots of support logic, hence they all cost > $1k. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't need to buy the dev-board with stratix but only to compare pc-based solution with fpga-based solution at same price (1k$) with TimeQuest and see what fmax I can get for now with device of 1k dev-board :) 

--- Quote End ---  

Just do the comparison using Quartus then, don't actually buy the development kit :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah comparison with a 1k$ board :) more cheap then real board

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is the lowest-cost high-end Arria V GZ board I have found ... 

http://www.ti.com/tool/tsw14j56evm 

$800. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are a student or teacher at school, Terasic will provide you much cheaper price (academic price) which they couldn't publish on webpage. It might be possible to get a large Stratix 4/5 board running OpenCL for HPC application. Simply check with them.

0 Kudos