FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5156 Discussions

Stratix2/Nios2 dev board, problem with SSRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm a newcomer to design with Altera FPGAs. Some weeks ago I was involved in design with an Altera stratix II development board. I'm not 100% sure which board it is, but taking a look at the devices in it I'm pretty convinced is a rohs board. 

I've been following the 1 day tutorial as well as others in order to implement a basic embedded NiosII procesor but didn't succeed to add the external SSRAM. While implementing something more basic with only on-chip memory works at least for the Nios2/Eclipse counter program template, it doesn't when adding the SSRAM. The leds blink somehow randomly. 

I had set the PLL clocks both for the processor and the SSRAM to 85MHz and the delay of the SSRAM clock to 3.38 ns as explained in the tutorial. But I have the impresion that there must be some kind of timing issues, despite TimeQuest doesn't show anyone. Could anybody give a hint on how to debug this. Having a sample project for the Nios2 processor in this kind of board with all the peripherals included would be extraordinary. 

I'm using Quartus 10.0 in W7. 

Cheers.
0 Kudos
0 Replies