FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

TRDB-D5M with Cyclone 3 Development board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello My name is Hardik Shah, 

I am using Terasic camera(with HSMC->40 pin converter) with Cyclone 3 board and trying to display the images taken by the camera on the HSMC Multimedia display. 

- I use the camera in the free running mode which is by default. 

- I do not use the I2C interface to communicate with the camera as we do not intend to use any NIOS processors. 

- Row and Column skipping are implemented in the hardware to reduce the resolution. 

- I am getting the waveforms as shown in the attached screen shot. 

- I have tested the LCD interface by creating the on FPGA model of the camera. Which generates various colour bands in bayer pattern and inputs them to the camera interface. 

From the camera interface till the LCD, everything works according to the specification. But, when I connect the real camera with board, the LCD displays only noisy colours.  

Are there any know issues with the camera? 

Can you suggest me what I may take into consideration? 

Kindly, reply as soon as possible. 

Best regards, 

Hardik Shah
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A small addition, 

In the snap shot the PIXCLK looks stuck at 0. Infact, it is working. I use the same frequency clock to analyse and that is why it looks stuck at. 

Best regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, 

After fighting a lot, I got my camera up and running. There are few interesting things which can be helpful to know in the DEFAULT mode. 

i) the FVAL and LVAL singals are '1' when RESETn is applied and they stay '1' for several microseconds after RESETn goes high. So, you should not sample the data during this time. 

ii) FVAL and LVAL are high ONLY during the active image and NOT during the active boundary. 

iii) (may be intuitive)The D11-D0 is a positive logic and D11 is the MSB. 

Regards, 

Hardik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Shah, 

are you succeeded in interfacing the camera with cyclone III development board and showing the result on some LCD? i also need to do the same task and need some guidence? could you please help me???
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

ya I succeeded in interfacing the camera and display the images on the LCD. 

I would like to help you for sure. Tell me what are your questions? 

Regards, 

Hardik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

it's a good news for me that you have done the task. i have got Altera embedded system development kit http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-emb-dev-cyc3.html 

and a 5 Mega pixel camera. i need to get image from the camera and display the result on the LCD with the board. the code provided with the camera is for DE2 board, i was wondering how can i get the code for this board. i am working with vhdl.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Shahzad, 

Ya thats true, the code you get with the camera is for DE2 board. You simply need to write your own VHDL code to capture frames. It is simple, just feed in the frequency you use for your system in the PIXCLK. You will start receiving the PIXELS on the output by default, that is a free running mode of the camera. If you need to use the camera to take pictures, you have to develop I2C controller and then use the interface to TRIGGER the image. 

one more tip, in the free running mode, just do not worry about the rising edge and falling edges as mentioned in the manual. I did all the stuff only on the rising edge and it worked nicely. 

Best regards, 

Hardik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Shah, 

could you please share your vhdl code for interfacing the camera on Cyclone 3 Board? 

Regards, 

Shahzad
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

could you please share your vhdl code for interfacing the camera to the DE2 board or similar. 

Please help me
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

anyway, just out of curiosity. What is the reset delay module for?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Hardik, 

You mention about feeding the PIXCLK which I believe is an output from the camera that dictates the pixel output freq. Shouldnt the camera input clock go to the EXTCLK pin? However, I am trying to find the default PIXCLK freq of the camera. Like say, if I use a 27Mhz clock input to the cam..what would the Pixle output rate be? Any thoughts? Thanks! 

Regards, 

BVP 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Shahzad, 

Ya thats true, the code you get with the camera is for DE2 board. You simply need to write your own VHDL code to capture frames. It is simple, just feed in the frequency you use for your system in the PIXCLK. You will start receiving the PIXELS on the output by default, that is a free running mode of the camera. If you need to use the camera to take pictures, you have to develop I2C controller and then use the interface to TRIGGER the image. 

one more tip, in the free running mode, just do not worry about the rising edge and falling edges as mentioned in the manual. I did all the stuff only on the rising edge and it worked nicely. 

Best regards, 

Hardik 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BVP, 

You are right an input clock should go to the EXTCLK pin of the camera and output clock from the camera PIXCLK should be feed in to the circuit that captures the frames. Both the clocks will have the same frequency (may be a slight phase shift). If you input 27 MHz clock to the camera, you will receive 27M pixels per second. The camera output is in the bayer pattern, you need to convert it into the RGB. Afterwards calculate number of pixels you have per frame to come up with frame rate. 

HTH, 

Hardik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Hardik, 

Thanks for your quick response. I got it clear now. 

When you say to calculate the no. of pixels, do you mean to configure the Sensor Row and Column Size registers (0x03 and 0x04)?  

I now have a row size set as 2047 and column as 2559. I also use row and column skipping to skip every alternate row and column and also binning set as 1 ( Registers 0x023 and 0x024). Now from one the tables in the TRDB-D5M datasheet, I understand that such a configuration would result in a resolution of 1280x1024 and a Frame rate of 40.1 

Is my understanding right on deriving my Frame Rate? :confused:  

Kindly comment. 

Best Regards, 

BVP
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BVP, 

I am sorry I cannot help you in this. The reason is I did this project about 2 years ago and I do not remmember the details you have asked for. 

I will have to re-read the manual :( 

Regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Just thought to share ... I was reading through the hardware specification and found out that the PIXCLK frequency can be altered by configuring the PLL register in the camera.  

In my case PLL Config1 and Config2 (Output frequency multiplier) are configured as: 

PLL_n_Divide = 4, PLL_m_Factor = 24 and PLL_p1_Divide = 1 

Then, pixclk = (xclkin x m)/(n x p1) where, M is the PLL_m_Factor, N is the PLL_n_Divider+1 and P1 is PLL_p1_Divider+1 

25Mhz clock is fed into the XCLKIN TRDB pin and by using the above equation PIXCLK (output rate of camera) is 60Mhz/60Mpps. Confirmed this on the scope!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi BVP and HARDIK, 

do you mind sharing your code? the former posts says it's in vhdl. i have DE2 and the 5Megapixel camera module but i dont know verilog. I was hoping to see your code and have a look on how it's done.  

thanks. 

hoping,  

glenn
0 Kudos