FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Terasic DE2-70 Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm planning on ordering an altera DE2-70 board from terasic and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if their general impression of the board. My university uses the DE2 for all of its engineering department and it seems like a solid dev board to me. But i want to make sure there aren't any weird bugs or anything with the DE2-70. Its a pretty new board so i just want to make sure everything works fine on it
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update (since I got a question on this): The updated control panel (version 1.1.0) from Terasic works great with Quartus 8.1 and NIOS2 for Quartus 8.1. Note, it doesn't work without the NIOS2 package being installed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying the LCD example which is provided in the Cd-Rom. when I click on the download code, after 70% of downlaod it gives me the follwoing error 

download NIOS2 file(DE2_70_Control_panel_ssram.elf) fail! 

Kindly suggest what to do. 

Thanks, 

Mumble.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all! 

This is my first time dealing with any FPGA, so bear with me here 

I am using a DE2-70 for a project, I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop running windows 10 

I am trying to communicate with the board with the control panel, with no success- I keep getting the "failure to download code/failure to connect with FPGA" message 

Can anyone suggest a full order of operations, from 0% to 100%, for how to use the control panel. Starting from which version of Quartus II to download, which files to download, which order to install them in, etc.  

Thanks! 

PS. I read that when I plug in the board, I will get a pop up asking me to install a driver for the USB blaster. I did not get such a pop up, so please include instructions for that as well
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you downloaded all the documentation / tools / software for the board from Terasic? See: http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=183&no=226 

This is an older board design using the Cyclone II device, and I think you will be limited to QuartusII v13.0sp1 as the latest version that supports that device family. 

However, I also believe v13.0sp1 requires Windows 7 32b/64b or earlier; Windows 8/10 are not officially supported. So you might need to get an older computer, or a newer FPGA board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ak6dn! 

First off, thanks for your quick reply 

I did download all the programs and software I could find from that website, and I was using the Quartus II v13.0sp1, and it still did not work. I even sent an email to Terasic support. I'll paste their reply here 

"Thank you for your using the DE2-70 kit.  

The demos created for the DE2-70 should be very old version, maybe Quartus II v7.1. So please use the Quartus v9.1 or earlier version to run the demos of the De2-70 kit if possible.  

The Quartus software is availble to download from Altera online: https://www.altera.com/downloads/download-center.html. Please download the version you needed.  

The CD-ROM resource is online: http://mail.terasic.com.cn/~wyzhou/de2_70_system_cd_v.1.4.0.rar , please download it and use as a reference. Thank you. 

Free to contact us if you have any other inquiry.  

Best Regards" 

Also, a very quick reply.  

So I was using a version of Quartus II that is supposed to work with Cyclone II devices, but still no go.  

I then uninstalled that version and installed Quartus II 7.2 sp3 because that is the version that came with the board while it was being sold. Also no go. But I also didn't install the NIOS II EDS. I'll try that now 

I looked at this thread and saw some other small fixes (like no spaces). I'll try them and see if they work and will update.  

But any other tips with how to run this would be very appreciated.  

I would not want to run this on an older computer or on a VM unless I had exhausted ALL the other options 

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello again 

Turns out I have a much more basic problem- The Altera USB blaster is not installed (I am using windows 10). I am starting a different thread for this. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos