FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

The difference between the "JAM STAPL player" and "quartus_jli" ?

Dover
Beginner

Hi all,

I want to find out a method to readback the USERCODE of the FPGA via the JTAG download cable (USB-Blaster) on my PC side.

1. ​quartus_jli (Nios II Command Shell): I can readback the USERCODE.
  2. JAM STAPL player (Use Command Window): I cannot readback the USERCODE, it show the error message "I/O error: cannot open device \\. \ALTLPT1. Check port number and device driver installation."

I had found the following topic about the error message (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd03311999_546.html), it seems that the ALTPLT1 is the driver 's name of the ByteBlaster cable.

If I want to readback the information by using the JAM STAPL player, do I must use the Byteblaster cable instead of the USB-blaster cable ?

Thanks a lot.

Dover

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, the JAM STAPL does not support USB-Blaster. You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd03152005_912.html. The reason is that the JAM STAPL is use for embedded system.

So I would recommend you to use quartus_jli if you would like to use USB-Blaster.

0 Kudos
Dover
Beginner

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

But could I have more simple method to readback the information without installing the whole Quartus software?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You just need to install Quartus Programmer Stand Alone software.

0 Kudos
Dover
Beginner

Thank you so much.

I have reviewed the AN425 again. "quartus_jli" can be executed in the command window. It's not necessary to be execute in the Nios command shell.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, it can be executed in command window as long as you set the environment correctly.

0 Kudos