FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5151 Discussions

The difference between the "JAM STAPL player" and "quartus_jli" ?

Dover
Beginner

Hi all,

I want to find out a method to readback the USERCODE of the FPGA via the JTAG download cable (USB-Blaster) on my PC side.

1. ​quartus_jli (Nios II Command Shell): I can readback the USERCODE.
  2. JAM STAPL player (Use Command Window): I cannot readback the USERCODE, it show the error message "I/O error: cannot open device \\. \ALTLPT1. Check port number and device driver installation."

I had found the following topic about the error message (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/soluti...), it seems that the ALTPLT1 is the driver 's name of the ByteBlaster cable.

If I want to readback the information by using the JAM STAPL player, do I must use the Byteblaster cable instead of the USB-blaster cable ?

Thanks a lot.

Dover

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, the JAM STAPL does not support USB-Blaster. You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/soluti.... The reason is that the JAM STAPL is use for embedded system.

So I would recommend you to use quartus_jli if you would like to use USB-Blaster.

Dover
Beginner

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

But could I have more simple method to readback the information without installing the whole Quartus software?

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You just need to install Quartus Programmer Stand Alone software.

Dover
Beginner

Thank you so much.

I have reviewed the AN425 again. "quartus_jli" can be executed in the command window. It's not necessary to be execute in the Nios command shell.

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, it can be executed in command window as long as you set the environment correctly.