FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

The .flash file doesn't work in Arria IIGX development Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a problem when I used "sof2flash" to convert "factory_recovery\build_factory_source\bts_config.sof" to bts_config.flash.when used Quartus ii and Nios II EDS 9.0SP2,the problem is "The release of Nios II EDS 9.0sp2 tool "sof2flash" does not include support for Arria II GX". When I used QuartusII Nios II EDS 9.1sp1 and sp2 ,the problem is that .flash file's size is not same as your provided file bts_config.flash,and upload this .flash file into development kit,it didn't work. But upload your provided file bts_config.flash,it did work. 

How should I do? 

thank you.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

when you used sof2flash, did you include the --pfl, --programmingmode, and --optionbit flags?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no, as the user_guider file says 

sof2flash --offset=0x640000 --input=bts_config.sof --output=bts_config.falsh
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

not using the mentioned flags will cause the FPGA to fail configuration. take a look at the following solution: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01152010_225.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you, thepancake!  

solved it!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

take a look at the following solution: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01152010_225.html 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you, that's some critical info! 

Specifically, (to make it easy for others), adding this made a .flash that worked for me: " --pfl --optionbit=0x18000 --programmingmode=FPP" 

eg: 

sof2flash --offset=0x640000 --input=bts_config.sof --output=bts_config.flash --pfl --optionbit=0x18000 --programmingmode=FPP
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I managed to create .flash file and burn the flash with new image successfully for once. After that, I repeat the process but the FPGA can't run. It is configured successfully though, but all the logic just can't run? Quite confused, same sof file I've used to configure by JTAG, works perfectly.
0 Kudos