FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Timing Constraint for modules

rhe
Beginner

Hello,

I designed some basic modules I reuse in all my project. For instance, I have a synchronization module I called "resync_module" which is a 2 flip-flop synchronizer that I use when I need to use 1 signal from one clock domain to another clock domain.

My question is about timing constraint, SDC file and probably TCL file.

I want to specify some constraints on this "resync_module". First I would like to set a false path to any signal going into first flip-flop, and then a max delay between first flip-flop to second equal to 80% of clock period.

BUT, I do not want to manually specify this constraints to all instances of this modules in my project. I would like to write a SDC (and TCL) file that will search for all instance of my module named "resync_module"  and then create for each instance the correct constraint to apply (because for each instance, clock frequency can be different so constraint must also be different).

Can someone help me to write this functionnality for quartus ?

Thanks a lot.

Sebastien

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'll make life easier for you: you don't need to do any of what you are proposing.

You do need to define the clock domains on either side of the synchronizer and you need to false path the path between the registers if the two clock domains are asynchronous to each other.  You must define all clock domains in a design.  If you are using a PLL to create multiple clock domains, you can use derive_pll_clocks to simplify this task.  You can't get away with not constraining all clocks if you want an accurate timing analysis and to have the Fitter place and route your design to meet timing requirements.

You would not false path the input to the synchronizer because that removes timing requirements on the data from the source clock domain.  And I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the max delay between the registers.

0 Kudos
rhe
Beginner

I disagree with you on this specific example. My module is here to cross clock domain, whatever the clock are synchronous or not.

If clock are asynchronous, by setting clock as asynchronous in my SDC it will of course disable any timing constraint between these 2 clock domains.

If clock are synchronous ... yes by constraining source clock and destination clock, all path will be constrained including the input of the synchronizer. But, it could be very difficult to meet the timing due to clock frequencies and phase relation ship.  This is the reason why I want to add a set false path at the input of the synchronizer as it is recommended by everyone.

The reason why I want to put a max delay between the 2 FlipFlop is to deal with metastability that will occur on first flip flop since input can be totally asynchronous to destination clock (It can be pushbutton for example ...). By setting a maxdelay between the 2 FFs, it will "force" to place the 2 FFs relatively close one of each other : and this will reduce metastability probability.

One more time, my question is more global than this example. I try to find a solution to constrain any module which needs a specific constraint quite automatically like quartus does it when creating  some ip core like LVDS_SERDES IP core on Cyclone10 Gx.

Here find attach the 2 files that quartus create which constrains any instantiation of this module in the design.

TCL file include some generic function that will find modules and targets elements

SDC file will call this tcl file apply specific constraint to some element in  each module instantiation.

I try to modify these file for my project but I do not succeed ...

Note : I had to change file extension to import files in this forum because it doesn't allow TCL file and SDC files ....

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You say you've heard this recommendation of a false path on the input of the synchronizer from everyone.  I've never seen or heard of this and I've been constraining designs for a long time.  Reference?  Or are you referring to something asynchronous or completely asynchronous like a button press on the input?  This of course would be a false path.

Typically, for synchronous clocks, the clocks are both generated by the same PLL.  That's why you wouldn't need to do this.  The relationship on both sides of the synchronize is set by the PLL.  You may need to use multicycle to describe the relationship between data coming in and out of the synchronizer, but you don't need a false path in this case.

For metastability, instead of using timing constraints, it's usually recommended to make the synchronizer chain longer with extra register(s).  Quartus can recognize synchronizer chains, choose good placement for the registers in the chain, and maintain them through compilation.  There's even a metastability report you can generate in the timing analyzer to see the MTBF for each synchronizer.

The rest of your query is scripting stuff, which I'm not an expert in, but of course there are lots of references available.

0 Kudos
rhe
Beginner

As I said in my first post, I develop modules that can be used in many projects where clock relationship can be different.

Sometimes they can be synchronous and sometines not. That's why I need to put a set false path to be more general.

Moreover, if clocks are effectively synchronous, indeed I don't need a set_false path ... but i don't need a synchronizer neither ... so I won't use this synchronizer module.... (If I know that clocks are synchronous by design)

Well, my question was not about the need or not of a timing constraint but how to find a specific register based on a module name. And if i had already found some scripts to do that I wouldn't ask the question here. So if you know where I can find these script I will be grateful.

best regards

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @rhe 

I am not sure if there is a particular script that can help you in regards to this case.  

However, you may checkout the Intel Quartus Prime Pro Edition User Guide: Scripting for a comprehensive reference of all the Intel Quartus Prime Tcl packages and commands.

You could also type quartus_sh --qhelp in the command prompt (make sure the dir at <quartus installation directory>/quartus/bin64) to starts the Intel Quartus Prime Command-Line and Tcl API Help browser, a viewer for information about the Intel Quartus Prime Command-Line executables and Tcl API.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
rlh
Beginner

Don't know if this is still relevant, but I have a suggestion I have been using a few times:

###############################################################################
# Module constraint file (.sdc)
###############################################################################

# Get all instances
set inst_list [get_entity_instances -nowarn <module_name>]

# Run for each instance
foreach each_inst $inst_list {
# Add your constraints here using $each_inst in the path
# Eg.: set ref_clk [get_pins -compatibility_mode $each_inst|<pll_inst_name>|*|core_refclk]
}

Kind Regards,

Rasmus

rhe
Beginner

Thank you that can help ... I will try

0 Kudos