FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Triple speed ethernet on Stratix III 3SL150F1152

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I want to use Triple speed ethernet on Stratix III 3SL150F1152. When using the NIOS II standard design, my simple socket server example get runtime errors. The log information is as follows: 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable nios2-terminal: "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0 nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate) =============== Software License Reminder ================ This software project uses an unlicensed version of the NicheStack TCP/IP Network Stack - Nios II Edition. If you want to ship resulting object code in your product, you must purchase a license for this software from Altera. For information go to: "http://www.altera.com/nichestack" ===================================================== InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 Copyright 1996-2007 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. prep_tse_mac 0 Can't read the MAC address from your board (this probably means that your flash was erased). We will assign you a MAC address and static network settings Please enter your 9-digit serial number. This is printed on a label under your Nios dev. board. The first 3 digits of the label are ASJ and the serial number follows this. -->Created "Inet main" task (Prio: 2) Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) 123456789 123456789 Your Ethernet MAC address is 00:07:ed:ff:cd:15 prepped 1 interface, initializing... SGDMA desc memory cleared INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x00001400 ERROR : MAC Group - No PHY connected! ERROR : PHY - No PHY connected! Gigabit = 0, Duplex = Full OK, x=349, CMD_CONFIG=0x00000000 MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x04000203 RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created IP address of et1 : 0.0.0.0  

After that, I read sth from this threadhttp://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5886[/url], and the the files in 

--- Quote Start ---  

stratixiii_3sl150_dev_tse_sgmii_v1.zip (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1233&d=1246537769)  

--- Quote End ---  

This time I got this: 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable nios2-terminal: "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0 nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate) =============== Software License Reminder ================ This software project uses an unlicensed version of the NicheStack TCP/IP Network Stack - Nios II Edition. If you want to ship resulting object code in your product, you must purchase a license for this software from Altera. For information go to: "http://www.altera.com/nichestack" ===================================================== InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 Copyright 1996-2007 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. prep_tse_mac 0 Can't read the MAC address from your board (this probably means that your flash was erased). We will assign you a MAC address and static network settings Please enter your 9-digit serial number. This is printed on a label under your Nios dev. board. The first 3 digits of the label are ASJ and the serial number follows this. -->Created "Inet main" task (Prio: 2) Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) 123456789 123456789 Your Ethernet MAC address is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff prepped 1 interface, initializing... SGDMA desc memory cleared INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x00003000 INFO : PHY Marvell 88E1111 found at PHY address 0x12 of MAC Group INFO : PHY - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED INFO : Applying additional PHY configuration of Marvell 88E1111 INFO : PCS - Configuring PCS operating mode INFO : PCS - PCS SGMII mode enabled INFO : PHY - Checking link... INFO : PHY - Link established INFO : PHY - Gigabit = 1, Duplex = Full OK, x=0, CMD_CONFIG=0x00000000 MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x0400020b RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created IP address of et1 : 0.0.0.0 DHCP timed out, going back to default IP address(es) Simple Socket Server starting up Simple Socket Server listening on port 30 Created "simple socket server" task (Prio: 4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a few questions: 

1.Why I need to input the 9-digit serial number, is my DHCP not working? 

2.I know DHCP is short for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, but I don not know it well. Is it on my host computer or on my fpga board? 

3.The MAC address "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff", I don't know why I get this, and I didn't find any similar situations in other threads. 

I also read leonchang0000's theadhttp://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3210[/url], and add the lines in altera_avalon_tse.c. But nothing changed. 

Help needed, thanks in advance! 

Yang
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there any step-by-step tutorial for stratix iii 3sl150f1152

What additional knowledge I have to comand when doing this?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Edit the source code of the example program for Nios. Enable fixed IP address and define it properly in the header file. You have to enter serial number, so the software generates a MAC address according to that number.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Edit the source code of the example program for Nios. Enable fixed IP address and define it properly in the header file. You have to enter serial number, so the software generates a MAC address according to that number. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your reply,Socrates, 

I can't find a serial number beginning with ASJ under my dev. board, so I input 123456789 like other people did. Is it right? 

I'll change the source code right away. 

Yang
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Basically yes, but it should NOT be all 0xFF. Altera has MAC prefix, begining 0xED 0x07 afaik...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Basically yes, but it should NOT be all 0xFF. Altera has MAC prefix, begining 0xED 0x07 afaik... 

--- Quote End ---  

My OS is Windows XP, I found on the internet that this OS does not support DHCP server. So I turned DHCP off, and I'm going to set static IP. But here comes the questions: 

1.I use wireless network to surf on the net, the IP is 192.168.4.149, gateway:192.168.4.1, network mask:255.255.255.0 

2.When I connect my dev board to my computer with a wire, the Ethernet adapter is constrained, IP:169.254.228.129, network mask:255.255.0.0, no information for gateway. 

What I should set in simple_socket_server.h?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Firstly, You network doesn't have DHCP server on wire connection. Set up static IP/Netmask addresses for PC and also for board. Set them like: 

PC - IP: 192.168.0.1 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.2 

Board - IP 192.168.0.2 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

has someone rebuilt (or tried to) the project stratixIII_3sl150_dev_TSE_SGMII_v1.zip attached by yang05022? It's the first project that I've found for Stratix III that seems to work on this FPGA, but I need to write my IP address, so rebuilt it, but I don't know how to do it exactly. I'm working with the NIOS II Eclipse IDE, but the makefile seems not to work with it. I wondered that the makefile is made to work with cygwin (which I'm using right now) or MinGW, but I can't compile it because some problems are appearing. 

Does anyone know how to build it? Or maybe does someone know the creator of the project and the contact to ask him? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos