FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

URGENT Does FPGA EP4CE15F17C8N requires heat sink?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Im using FPGA EP4CE15F17C8N in my board and im operating at 55C ambient.Do i need to design heat sink? 

Do we have any integrated temperature sensor for this FPGA EP4CE15F17C8N? 

Please help this urgent request 

Sundar
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, the EP4CE15F17C8N does not have temperature sensor. I propose that you check out the EPE for Cyclone IV E here: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/operation-and-testing/power/cy4-5-estimator-download.html 

For this device, I took a look and at 55C ambient, the static power alone (no dynamic) is 129mW (maximum power, typical is half of this).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, the EP4CE15F17C8N does not have temperature sensor. I propose that you check out the EPE for Cyclone IV E here: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/operation-and-testing/power/cy4-5-estimator-download.html 

For this device, I took a look and at 55C ambient, the static power alone (no dynamic) is 129mW (maximum power, typical is half of this). 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

For my Board, the FPGA consumes 1.3W typical and 1.5W is the max wattage. Is there any possibility to include these wattage directly in the "powerplay power estimator" to know about the maximum case and junction temperature. 

Please help. 

Thx in advance. 

Sndar
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I entered some random numbers to reach total power of ~1.5W (at ambient of 25C, without heat sink and no airflow) --> the maximum allowed T_ambient is about 38C.  

Of course this is not the correct way to do it (random guessing is never dependable) :) The EPE can import .csv file generated by Quartus (if you have the design) that fills up the resource usage for you. After entering the ambient temp, you should see the maximum allowed T_ambient on the top right of the table.
0 Kudos