FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

USB Device Drivers Not Present/Installed automatically - Cyclone III Dev Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to program the Cyclone III dev board through a USB connector cable. Drivers to the USB connector to the Altera Cyclone III board are not getting installed automatically. Is there a link from where I can download the drivers ?  

Thank you
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The drivers are already supplied with the Quartus software installation.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am trying to program the Cyclone III dev board through a USB connector cable. Drivers to the USB connector to the Altera Cyclone III board are not getting installed automatically. Is there a link from where I can download the drivers ?  

--- Quote End ---  

Does Window's pop-up a window asking for the drivers? If so, direct it to look under the Quartus installation drivers folder. 

If however, Windows does not do anything, please look under the Device Manager, and tell us what you see under the USB devices. If the USB-Blaster on the board is programmed correctly, it should show up there. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

In the Device Manager section I see a Yellow Question mark with USB-Blaster written besides it, which implies the device drivers were not installed. I tried to point the location where quartus is installed but still it still says device drivers not installed. 

Should I reinstall the quartus software or should I get the drivers online ? 

The problem is that the Quartus 2 license is nodelocked to a system which is not supposed to be connected to the internet. So I am not able to direct it to automatically search and install from the net. 

Can I connect the board to a system with internet - automatically let the system download drivers and transfer it to the system in which quartus is present and install it ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I tried to point the location where quartus is installed but still it still says device drivers not installed. 

--- Quote End ---  

Which folder did you try? 

For example, was it something like: 

C:\software\altera\11.1sp1\quartus\drivers\usb-blaster 

--- Quote Start ---  

Should I reinstall the quartus software or should I get the drivers online ? 

The problem is that the Quartus 2 license is nodelocked to a system which is not supposed to be connected to the internet. So I am not able to direct it to automatically search and install from the net. 

--- Quote End ---  

The driver installation does not care about Quartus. Its something being handled by the operating system, not Quartus. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your reply. I think I dont remember the path to be like the one you've shown. Probably it was the wrong path. I ll confirm where the USB-Blaster device driver is installed and accordingly point the path. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos