FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

USB blaster installation problems in W7 64bit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:confused: 

How can I install USB blaster in Windows 7 64 bit? it just can´t install the drivers correctly, every time I connect the tool to my PC it tries to install the already installed drivers but at the end it appears with an error and it doesn't work. 

If I uninstall the drivers and try the whole process again it does the same and I can't make it work. 

Do anybody know how can I install the drivers properly? 

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
38 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also have problems with Windows 7 64 bit. Maybe you should install the correct version.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What version of the tools are you installing? The earlier versions had problems with Windows 7 x64 but those have been resolved for quite some time. Also make sure you install the ACDS with admin privilages.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone! I also have this problems. When I install USB-Blaster in Windows 7 64-bit at the end appears BSOD with error "STOP: 0x0000007E".

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just installed Quartus II 11.1 sp2 web edition and I do not see the USB Blaster on the Altera Cyclone III starter board in the Hardware Setup tab of the Programmer application. This is on a 64-bit Windows 7 installation. I have used older versions of Quartus II web edition on a different 64-bit Windows 7 machine and it worked fine. I see the USB Blaster in Device Manager and it says the device is working normally. I also see the Altera JTAG Server service in the Services list and it shows "Started". What am I missing? What has changed?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you have the Nios II EDS installed open up the Nios II command shell and type this: "jtagconfig" and report back what it prints. Also make sure to click the "Hardware Setup" button and check to see if the USB blaster is showing up in the dialog box. Make sure you install the tools with administrative privileges and make sure any antivirus software running in the background is disabled during the installation process.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

jtagconfig says "No JTAG hardware avaiable". There is no USB Blaster (or anything else) in Hardware Setup. Everything was installed with admin privileges (I right-clicked the Quartus installer and selected "Run as administrator.") No AV software on this machine.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm stumped then. You didn't accidentally mess with the dip switches on the board by any chance? Some of those control the JTAG chain and connectivity of the board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nope. And that board still works just fine with the different Windows 7 64-bit machine running 11.0 sp1. Maybe I should just punt 11.1 sp2 and go back to 11.0 sp1. New computer, old software?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

11.0 sp1 works (USB-blaster shows in Hardware Setup; works with programmer). 11.1 sp2 does not work. (USB-blaster not found in Harware Setup.) So I will stay with the older version. Beware "improvements."

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem. Win7, 64bit 

• Quartus 11.1: USB Blaster detected correctly in the device manager, but not usable. It was not selectable in the Hardware Setup of the Quartus Programmer. 

• Quartus 7.2SP3: I installed this one because it was mentioned in another thread. It seemed to work, JTAG was usable. However, the driver always produced a BSOD 0x0000007E during Windows boot. 

• Quartus 11.0SP1: Finally works fine, no BSOD anymore :). Thanks for the hint! 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can confirm that the USB Blaster works correctly on Windows 7 64-bit (didn't test on other OS type/version) using the driver supplied with Quartus 11.1 sp1 (and earlier), but doesn't anymore with Q11.1 sp2's driver. When comparing the two, apparently version 2.08.14 (03/18/2011) of FTDI's original driver is now used instead of 2.04.16 (02/17/2009). 

Note: I'm still using Quartus 11.1 sp2 application, but with the 11.1 sp1 USB Blaster driver!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

People who want to avoid installing a complete version of Quartus just for the drivers should download the Quartus 11.1sp1 stand alone programmer from here: 

https://www.altera.com/download/software/prog-software/11.1sp1 

...though it does take up roughly 800MB once installed!! Otherwise use the attached drivers
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm using Win7 64 bits on my new professional laptop. I bought the MAX V CPLD Dev kit and I have the same kind of problem. 

The driver is well installed with 11.1 sp2 build 259, see IM1.jpg but the USB Blaster is not detected. 

I've returned the dev kit and got another one -> same problem. 

I've just tried the solution of "chnaideur", I've removed the "old" drivers, installing those on the zip file, then downloaded the 11.1 sp1 programmer, unfortunately after installing the driver when I tried to start the programming software -> blue screen !!! 

I'm not a beginner with all these stuff, what's going on with these driver? 

Regards, 

Olivier
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Turns out my problems weren't completely solved either. The Quartus programmer worked, but the development kit software didn't. The development kit stated that its version was 10.1, so I downloaded the stand alone programmer 10.1 from ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release/ and now it finally works! 

monnoliv, check the version of your MAX V board test system and download the associated stand alone programmer to get the right drivers. Otherwise, the attached drivers are of version 10.1 if you would like to try these instead...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I can confirm that the USB Blaster works correctly on Windows 7 64-bit (didn't test on other OS type/version) using the driver supplied with Quartus 11.1 sp1 (and earlier), but doesn't anymore with Q11.1 sp2's driver. When comparing the two, apparently version 2.08.14 (03/18/2011) of FTDI's original driver is now used instead of 2.04.16 (02/17/2009). 

Note: I'm still using Quartus 11.1 sp2 application, but with the 11.1 sp1 USB Blaster driver! 

--- Quote End ---  

I can also confirm that the 11.1sp2 driver is not working i.e. it doesn't show up in the "Hardware Setup" of the Quartus software, but the 11.1sp1 does work! 

I simply downloaded the 6 MB zip file somebody posted here, renamed the original "driver" folder and copied the new driver folder in it's place. Then I right-clicked the "Altera USB-Blaster" in device manager and selected "Uninstall". Then did a new "Scan for hardware changes" and this time installed the new driver. No reboot necessary, it just worked! 

Thanks for the info + download!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem. USB byteblaster 2, rev c, quartus software 11.1 sp2 ; doesn't work on windows 7 64bit version

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I didn't go to deep into the usb-byteblaster-ii dir, but only to  

<install dir>\11.1\quartus\drivers 

(in my case: C:\pld\Altera\11.1\quartus\drivers) 

windows did recognize it and did install it
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm also using Windows 7, 64 bit, and none of the driver packages work for me. Maybe it's because I use a terasic Byte Blaster. 

When I point to the driver directories, Windows complains that the drivers are not digitally signed. Windows 7 generally refuses to load unsigned drivers. 

Does anyone have the same problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm new here because I had the same driver problem with the USBBlaster on win7/64. And thanks to chnaideur, the older drivers fixed it also. 

When I compare the installed drivers, I see that with the old drivers usbblstr64.dll is installed instead of usbblstr32.dll. Maybe only the .inf file of the newer version is wrong? But I don't know enough about the inf files and don't want to kill my windows installation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suffered the same problems - many hours wasted trying to understand what was happening. Old drivers worked immediately.

0 Kudos