FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Unable to access HPS periphery on Agilex chip

leondietrich
New Contributor I

Hi there,

We are using the Intel Agilex dev kit v3. We've instantiated the HPS together with some memory mapped IO components (Have a look at the attached screenshot of QSYS) and try to Boot linux on the HPS. Uboot and certain bare metal applications run fine however booting a linux kernel (both one precompiled and downloaded from releases.rocketboards.org as well as our custom one) freezes the HPS until reset.

We suspect that it may have something to do with the connected peripherals as issuing md within the uboot promt is working fine for the DDR4 memory or peripherals like the EMAC but causes uboot to crash when attempting to read memory from peripherals connected using the HPS to FPGA bridge. Still we couldn't find the issue yet and appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi leondietrich,

It may have something to do with your boot and configuration sources.

This document might help https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/altera-www/global/zh_CN/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5400a.pdf

Refer to the first few pages of that documents to identify the method of your system trying to boot with. Then determine your boot and configurations sources based on those different method mentioned.

Which documents that you refer from rocketboards for your booting process?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
leondietrich
New Contributor I

Hi,

Refer to the first few pages of that documents to identify the method of your system trying to boot with. Then determine your boot and configurations sources based on those different method mentioned.

We are using the FPGA first boot approach. We use the programming file generator to mix our bitstream with the FSBL hex file obtained by running bitbake and program the FPGA using the new sof file. The FSBL then loads the SSBL from an attached SD-Card (which works fine) and then either boots the referenced dummy test payload (which also woks fine) or the linux image (which does not work).

Which documents that you refer from rocketboards for your booting process?

We used the guide at https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader#Agilex_45_Boot_from_SD_Card to build the bootloader and used the guide at https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/AgilexSoCSingleQSPIFlashBoot to build the userland using bitbake. We also modified the meta layer to include our device tree source file which I attached.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Leon Dietrich

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi leondietrich,

It maybe the zImage is corrupted thus your linux not able to boot up accordingly.

You are building your linux based on two different documents, May I know any particular reasons?

Can try build your linux kernel based only the specific document which considered the zImage then observe any difference from the outcome.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi leondietrich,

I would like to know if there is any new follow up for this matter?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
leondietrich
New Contributor I

Hi Aik Eu,
unfortunately we had to reschedule the corresponding research project to December. The reason why we use the two different documents
is due to the fact that the latter document is explicitly stated as to be only compatible with the transceiver development kit but
not with the F-Series development kit. The first tutorial was stated to be compatible with both thus we mixed them.

We are going to try to rebuild the SD image on November the 30th and will report back if it worked using your suggestion or not.

Sincerely
Leon Dietrich

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi leondietrich,

This thread will be closed for now since the project has been moved to December.

After you have try to rebuild your project as suggested, can re-open a new thread for your new findings.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos