FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Unable to compile EP20K300EQC240-2X device using Quartus 9.0sp2 Web edition on Windows XP.

NJuser
Novice

APEX20KE devices are obsolete, WIndows XP is not supported...but unfortunately, I need to build the pof / sof file to reverse engineer the design. The error I keep getting is "Error: Current license file does not support the EP20K300EQC240-2X device", even though I generated the web license file using my NIC id. The error occurs at the Fitter stage.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Welcome to INTEL forum. Can you provide your license.dat file and error message screen shot for checking? And you can also reply/attach your file in private message.
0 Kudos
NJuser
Novice
The Error screenshot and the license file that I am using is attached
0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
we don't received your attachment. could you help to re-attach the fail again? you can also attach your file in private message.
0 Kudos
NJuser
Novice

Uploading the license file

0 Kudos
NJuser
Novice

Uploading the error screenshot

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hi I'm checking with customer service team regarding your issue, Meanwhile, may i know, do you have a license for Quartus 9.0 before?
0 Kudos
NJuser
Novice

A license is not required for Quartus 9.0 web edition, isn't that what your website says? The original design was compiled using Quartus 5.

0 Kudos
Kay
Beginner

Web edition does not require a license file. Have you tried to remove the license.dat from license setup? Do you see the same error?

0 Kudos
NJuser
Novice

It does need a license, contrary to what is advertised. When I had reported the error, the XP machine had absolutely no Quartus license. The design was not compiling, as described in the original complaint. Then, I generated a companion license from the Intel Self Service Licensing Center (I included the XP Machine's NIC ID). I copied the license locally on to the XP machine, and pointed the Quartus 9.0sp license to the same. It worked right away.

Intel / Altera needs to fix this issue, or simply state on their website that a license IS ACTUALLY required. But that's asking too much, isn't it?

0 Kudos
Kay
Beginner

It seems like generating the companion license fixed the error. Thanks for sharing this info :)

what is the companion license? Is it the one you attached earlier ?

0 Kudos
NJuser
Novice

If you buy a fixed NIC ID license for a single machine from Intel / Altera, they still allow you to use the Quartus tool on two other machines (like having a home, desk and lab machine, all being used to work on the same design). The Intel Self Service Licensing Center generates the appropriate license.dat file when you provide the NIC IDs for these companion machines. You can read the documentation on their website about companion licensing.

Kay
Beginner

I see. Thank you for sharing this :)

0 Kudos