FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5203 Discussions

Unable to initiate DMA transfer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using a Stratix IV PCIe HardIP and have a contiguous buffer DMA along with it. 

The BAR0 Address Map to a onchip memory location is 0x200000 to 0x200fff (64bit) 

BAR2 connects to the DMA Control register: 0x4000 to 0x403f. (32bit) 

The Read master and write master of the DMA are connected to the txs of the PCIe bus. 

I am trying using a simple 32bit transaction for a bunch of address from the DMA buffer to the memory but am unable to get it working. 

Setup: 

Besides the FPGA setup mentioned above. 

It uses a simple Windriver, 

See attached jpg for an example: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6485  

but everytime I write to the BAR2 DMA offset 0x4001 with the start address and read back with e.g. 0x200000 

as a 32bit (non block transfer)  

I am not able to add a source address it essentially reads back as zero. 

The same is applicable for the write register as well as the control register. 

I am using a s4gx_gen1x8_qsys reference model. So there are no changes essentially to my model. 

i) What is wrong with my method of access to the DMA? 

ii) Since I am transfering from my PC, what do I provide as a source address for in the source address register? 

iii) the PCIE:txs handles the write, so for the write address to the on chip memory do I use 0x200000 of BAR0 or should I connect it through another bus internally to the DMA with a separate address? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
0 Replies