FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Undefined pin state prior to loading rbf

RGoem
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I'm using a de0-nano-soc development board which has a Cyclone V including a HPS. I'm running U-Boot to load an rbf file at boot and then linux is ran. However when powering on the board it seems the FPGA is not doing anything prior to loading the rbf. This is a problem for me because the output pins I'm using are in a bad state sometimes. One pin is used to control a power hungry backlight and when the pin is high the backlight will be on full throttle. The power supply can't handle this spike and thus the board will reboot.

Is there a way to assign a default state to a pin or instruct the FPGA to start running the code before u-boot loads a new rbf image?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello.

FPGA is empty before rbf configuration by uboot. You cannot run anything on FPGA before Uboot.

Let me check with my internal team and let you know if I could get a feedback.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Is this pin related to FPGA I/O or HPS I/O ?

If it is HPS I/O, it is no effected by FPGA configuration. This happens after executing Preloader which configures HPS I/O pin settings such as weak-pullup or drive strength. these settings comes from Quartus when you generate the files, which might not be controlled by customer.

If it is FPGA I/O pin, I need to check with configuration engineer regarding this .

Thanks

0 Kudos
RGoem
Beginner

Thank you for your response!

It is regarding the FPGA I/O pins.

0 Kudos
RGoem
Beginner

Dear Fjuumaah,

Is there any update on this?

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

it seems there is a limitation here.

The uboot will freeze all the pins, configure the FPGA, then unfreeze and apply the pins settings. Before that, there is no function that can be done on FPGA.

Arria 10 SoC might support your need, since you can let uboot configure the pins before configuring the FPGA.

Thanks

0 Kudos