FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Use Mictor-38 HPS JTAG on HPS IO-48 OOBE Daughter Card Stratix 10 SX Development Kit.

SSB
Novice

Hi,

I am trying to carry out HPS Cortex-A53 debugging via external JTAG debugger (Arm DSTREAM), however the debugger is not able to locate any devices on the JTAG chain when connected via the Mictor-38 JTAG connector.

At the moment by board is running a GSRD image from QSPI from https://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2019.10/gsrd/s10_gsrd/ghrd_1sx280lu2f50e2vg_hps.sof and the board successfully boots into U-Boot however JTAG connection fails.

I need help to understand if the FPGA design needs to be updated to make HPS JTAG visible to the Mictor-38 connector or is it something that is by default available and should work. Also what configuration for JTAG SW1 should I use here ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SSB
Novice

Any help here ?

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi SSB

Happy New Year! Sorry for the late reply.

Is there a special use case that require you to use an external JTAG? There is an internal JTAG in in the Stratix10SX Devkit that you could connect to using only a USB Cable. I would recommend to use the internal JTAG.

Are you able to flash the DevKit using the Quartus Flash Programmer?

Initially the HPS would not be showing in the JTAG Chain if it is not enabled.

Could you try the steps to boot the board from QSPI with the steps below:

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/Stratix10SoCGSRD#Booting_from_QSPI

You would need to flash the "ghrd_1sx280lu2f50e2vg.hps.jic" and boot the board from QSPI.

After that you would see the HPS appearing in the jtag scan.

The SOF file that you are using is only temporary and not permanent, that could be the reason why you are not seeing the HPS.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
SSB
Novice

Hi,

I was able to make the external JTAG working via Mictor 38 after enabling JTAG DAP on HPS Pins instead of SDM pins in the GHRD            design.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi SSB

Glad that you manage to get it working.

Could you share the DIP Switch setting that got it to work?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
SSB
Novice

I used the default switch settings, while SW2 set up for QSPI boot [1:4] = on, off, off, off.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since this thread been resolve, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos