FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Using Oscilloscope instead of LEDs for output signals.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone! Is there a way to show an output signal from a DE2 board on an oscilloscope instead of on an LED??? I have created a simple project using Block Diagram/Schematics tool of Quartus II and instead of the blinking LEDs I would like to see a waveform. So, how can I do that? I don't want to use Simulation tools, I just want to see exactly my output on a screen instead of on LEDs. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

use some IO pins and hookup the probes. Check the datasheet to find which pins are 5v 3v and ground, as well as the o es you can use for your signal

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The board does have two 40-pin expansion headers. Do you think I should connect the oscilloscope probes to these pins??? Also, I don't quite understand what you mean by the 0's of my signal; could you explain that too? Thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the 40 pin header has 36 IO pins (Some of them may be only I or O, not IO), 2 gnd pins, 1 5V and a 3.3V pin. So you connect the ground of the oscilloscope to the ground of the board, and the probes can be connected to one of the other 36 as long as they act as outputs (so don use the input only pins. I have a DE2-115 and have used the GPIO headers with a scope on them. If you can use a jumper wire it greatly helps in connecting the probes and preventing shorts but you might be able to connect the probes directly.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much, you have been most helpful.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Hozan 677 

To connect your GPIO pins in a safe way (prevent shortcuts) with a probe, the following article can be very usefull: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/40pcs-dupont-cable-jumper-wire-dupont-line-male-to-female-dupont-line-2-54mm-20cm-1p/32481062593.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.2.ncfieo 

The individual feeders/wires of the ribbon cable can be separated easily and the small female plugs fit nicely over the gpio pins. 

The male plugs of these cables can be used to clamp the probe of the scope on. 

Good luck  

johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much Johi, these wires make the task very easy and possible. I will take your advice into consideration.

0 Kudos