FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Using a temperature sensor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, my team is working on a temperature controller for an HVAC system. We want to use the DE2 board to program the prototype for this controller. What type of temperature sensor is best (easier) for this type of implementation? Perhaps there is one with a built in ADC. Thanks. 

Demerrick Moton
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Digital temperature sensors, e.g. TI TMP275 (with I2C interface) are a convenient solution, if you don't need to interface with industry standard remote sensors (e.g. Pt100/Pt1000 RTD).  

Also ADI and Maxim-IC provide digital sensors with different levels of precision.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, we've got it now. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sensirion sensors like SHT11 or SHT15 could be a good solution too if you have a NIOS in your system. They have a proprietary interface (I2C like but without royalties ;-)), and the C code driver is provided to bit bang the clock and data, and calculate the temperature, hygrometry or due point values.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My board has the NIOS II, so that checks up nicely. I like the fact that they're C driven. That's typically my language of choice for these type of projects. Thanks, we'll take a look at those too.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I forget to tell that there are little boards that provide easy support of SHT : More info here : http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8227 

http://www.lextronic.fr/produit.php?id=1779 

Bye
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! Our prof asked our block to incorporate a sensor to an FPGA board, the only available board in our university is Altera Max II. Our plan is to use a temperature sensor. Can you please suggest what temperature sensor can we used and how to incorporate it with FPGA. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From a minimum design effort perspective, a sensor with SPI interface is preferable, available e.g. form TI or Analog Devices.

0 Kudos