FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Using the SDRAM on the DE2-115 without NIOS, only HDL language

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am currently trying to implement a dual-port RAM in the DE2-115 evaluation board, using the 2x64 MB SDRAM chips. I do not want to use NIOS or SOPC builder at all, only using HDL language. 

At first I thought that the Altera Megafunction where suppose to do it but since there was no pin assignment to do I got sceptical and then understood that is was for the memory block of the Cyclone IV chip. 

Then I took a look at the datasheet of the SDRAM chip and also at the Quartus II handbook about the HDL coding style while interfering with memory modules but I am confused with all the different commands and operation that needs to be done to use the SDRAM (compared to a simple SRAM for example). 

As I already lost too many times already, I am wondering if somebody knows where I can find somekind of manual/tutorial, like the following link: ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/9.1/tutorials/vhdl/de2-115/using_the_sdram.pdf but without NIOS processor as I don't want to use it. 

Or in the worse case where I would need to do everything myself, is there some tips that needs to be known while using SDRAM or should I just apply "stupidly" the truth table of the SDRAM pins for the required operation (read/write)? 

Thank you in advance, 

Meach
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If You don't understand the way SDRAM works - the only solution to Your problem is memory megacore. It does all the required precharge/read/write stuff, so read the docu and it will be much easier to work. Also check the reference designs how SDRAM pins are constrained. Usually, MegaWizard generates a script which does all the job for constraints, You just need to specify locations.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I'm currently stucked in the same problem, I'm trying to use the SDRAM of my DE2-115.  

my first try has been reading datasheet and doing my own controller, but is a mess. 

I understand the way sdram works, but I'm geting mad with the vhdl programation, is there a vhdl example or tutorial? 

Also, if use megacore, wich one is the one I need? because i tried two of them and i was unsuccessful tu make it work, I discard all the DDR (is this ok?) the issi sdram isn't a DDR 

Thanks, 

Guillermo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That ISSI chip isn't SDRAM chip at all. Not even talk about DDR SDRAM. Its SRAM, so You don't need any SDRAM controllers for that!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Issi is42s16320B datasheet says it's a 512Mbit Synchronous DRAM, 

there is an issi sram also, but I'm not interested in sram
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My bad then, Altera usually used only SRAM chips by ISSI.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi taquionbcn, 

You can check on opencores (http://opencores.org/), there are some SDRAM controller in VHDL which are configurable. 

Meach
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Meach, 

Which core did you end up using for your project? Did you use an Altera core, write one yourself, or use something else? Opencores?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you need the SRAM for? Please note, that the DE2-115 has both SDRAM and SRAM. 

SRAM reqires a straight forward memory mapped interface (only).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd like to revive this page. Someone might have new answers about this. I've just realized that the SDRAM in DE2-115 is not a DDR one so none in the MegaWizard IP works.  

In this tutorial, the SDRAM was used along side NIOS. I don't want to use NIOS like the thread starter. ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/12.0/tutorials/vhdl/de2-115/using_the_sdram.pdf 

Any insights on how to implement the SDRAM without NIOS?  

In Chapter 9: Implementing and Parameterizing Memory IP 9–3 Design Flow of this handbook (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_plan.pdf), it showed two possible ways to generate the IP. One using the Qsys and the other using the MegaWizard. Can someone share their knowledge on how to create a complete IP of the SDRAM Controller using Qsys with AVALON interface as the controlling component?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You might try starting with an example that uses NIOS. Then remove the NIOS and drive the SDRAM controller directly.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Better use small Nios and use DMA as You will still need to pass the initialization.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'd like to revive this page. Someone might have new answers about this. I've just realized that the SDRAM in DE2-115 is not a DDR one so none in the MegaWizard IP works.  

In this tutorial, the SDRAM was used along side NIOS. I don't want to use NIOS like the thread starter. ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/12.0/tutorials/vhdl/de2-115/using_the_sdram.pdf 

Any insights on how to implement the SDRAM without NIOS?  

In Chapter 9: Implementing and Parameterizing Memory IP 9–3 Design Flow of this handbook (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_plan.pdf), it showed two possible ways to generate the IP. One using the Qsys and the other using the MegaWizard. Can someone share their knowledge on how to create a complete IP of the SDRAM Controller using Qsys with AVALON interface as the controlling component? 

--- Quote End ---  

I am trying to do the same for distributed processing. The ISSI chip on the DE2-115 is Single Data Rate (SDR) SDRAM. There is an SDRAM Controller available from the IP Catalog under the following in Qsys: 

Memory Interfaces with ALTMEMPHY>SDRAM>SDRAM Controller. 

You would then export the signals to the external RAM chip and connect the in/outputs in your toplevel VHDL or Verilog file. To interface with the chip, you would have to adhere to the Avalon-Memory Mapped interface specification, which is standard and would be the same way you would interact with on-chip memory (See the Avalon Interface Specificaitons document or look for some examples).  

One thing that you must remember is that the SDRAM chip clock DRAM_CLK leads the system clock CLK_50 by 3 nanoseconds on the DE2-115. You may have to include a Phase Lock Loop (PLL) module to adjust for the offset. This is described when interfacing with the Nios II and should hold for custom logic as well due to off-chip latency. Hope that works! 

The document "Using the SDRAM on Altera’sDE2-115 Board" has that timing detail as well as an example with the Nios II as reference. 

(please rep if you find helpful =)
0 Kudos