FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Very High speed serial communication using the STRATIX II GX FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We have the stratix II GX EP2SGX90F1508C3 FPGA Board and now want to develop a system that works as very high speed serial Interface using the transceivers present in the FPGA. 

For this purpose which is the IP from the Altera that suits better for this application so that we can achieve the target at earliest
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am using the stratix II GX EP2SGX90F1508C3 FPGA Board for the project on very high speed serial communication. 

I am thinking of using the RapidIO IP for this purpose. Is it a good idea to use this IP for the serial communication to work at very high speed or any other IP is better???. 

So for this project will it be good to use the HSMC connectors present on the Board or the SFP connectors allowed on the Board
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check out SerialLite II also. It is a very thin layer on top of the transceivers and very easy to use. You can also turn on fancy stuff like CRCs. It supports both one-to-one and broadcast messaging. The IP is free with a full license of Quartus. I have used the transceivers through the HSMC connector, but have no experience with the SFP.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Check out SerialLite II also. It is a very thin layer on top of the transceivers and very easy to use. You can also turn on fancy stuff like CRCs. It supports both one-to-one and broadcast messaging. The IP is free with a full license of Quartus. I have used the transceivers through the HSMC connector, but have no experience with the SFP. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you very much for your reply.... 

I will try SerialLite II also. 

>> I have used the transceivers through the HSMC connector, but have no experience with the SFP. 

Means you have used the Transceivers TXP TXN RXP RXN pins through the HSMC connectors I think I am right....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, that is correct. I was talking about the transceiver lines exposed by the HSMC connector. Realize though that on most boards with this connector, you only have access to 4 lanes, unless the board has other HSMC connectors (Arria II board with the larger FPGA for example).

0 Kudos