FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5287 Discussions

What is the appropriate way to specify the SDC for "..was determined to be a clock but was found without an associated clock assignment."

TNine
Beginner

I already read https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an545.pdf?language=en_US

and

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyHQNSA2/diagnosing-signal-was-determined-to-be-a-cloc...

but I could not find the answer.

I have an sdc where I define

create_clock -name "CLOCK_50" -period 20.000ns [get_ports {CLOCK_50}]

create_clock -name "enc_a" -period 20.000ns [get_ports {enc_a}]

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {CLOCK_50} -group {enc_a}

where CLOCK_50 is my main clock and enc_a is a signal from an encoder.

I syncrhonize the enc_a end enc_b using

assign clk=CLOCK_50; always @(posedge clk) begin {metaA,metaB}<={enc_a,enc_b}; {stableA,stableB}<={metaA,metaB}; end   rotaryEncoder rotaryEncoder(.a(stableA),.b(stableB),.reset(reset),.q(stableQ));  

where rotaryEncoder is the following module

module rotaryEncoder(a,b,reset,q);   input a,b,reset; output reg [31:0] q; always @(posedge a,posedge reset) begin if (reset) begin q<=32'h0; end else if (b) begin q<=q+32'h1; end else begin q<=q-32'h1; end end endmodule

However I get the message

Warning (332060): Node: busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|stableA was determined to be a clock but was found without an associated clock assignment.

Info (13166): Register busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|rotaryEncoder:rotaryEncoder|q[5] is being clocked by busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|stableA

To my understanding, the "set_clock_groups -asynchronous" should solve the problem, but it seems not. How should I specify this situation in the sdc file?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You set signal a (aka stableA) as a new clock domain for the rotaryEncoder, so it must be constrained with a generated clock constraint. stableA is based off metaA and metaA is based off enc_a, so metaA is a generated clock as well. Something like this would work:

create_generated_clock -source [get_ports enc_a] -multiply_by 1 [get_pins <register that creates metaA>|q] -name metaA

create_generated_clock -source [get_pins <register that creates metaA>|q] -multiply_by 1 [get_pins <register that creates stableA>|q] -name stableA

The set_clock_groups command only prevents analysis for data transfers between the two clock domains you mention. It does not constrain the clock that drives the rotaryEncoder.

#iwork4intel

TNine
Beginner

Thank you very much, and sorry for the late reply. I could not make it work with get_pins, and switched to get_nodes. This is how the sdc now reads:

create_generated_clock -source [get_ports enc_a] -multiply_by 1 [get_nodes {busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|metaA}] -name metaA   create_generated_clock -source [get_nodes {busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|metaA} ] -multiply_by 1 [get_nodes {busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|stableA}] -name stableA

However I get a new warning.

Warning (332088): No paths exist between clock target "busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|metaA" of clock "metaA" and its clock source. Assuming zero source clock latency.   Warning (332088): No paths exist between clock target "busRotaryEncoder:busRotaryEncoder|stableA" of clock "stableA" and its clock source. Assuming zero source clock latency.  

Why does quartus detect no path even if there is the above mentioned synchronization?

GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee
I think TQ did not expect any feedback clock in your implementation and gave the warning https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/18.0/index.htm#msgs/msgs/wsta_no_va...