FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Which kit for connecting LVDS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need to interface a image sensor (OnSemi Python300 - 4 LVDS lanes where each lane runs@360 MHz, 720 Mbps). 

I'm confused between MAX10 and CYCLONE5 FPGAs for it. 

Could anyone suggest me a dev kit for either of these FPGAs where I can directly connect the image sensor PCB? (I think it won't be good to connect it via just about any header pinas LVDS connections need to be matched in length and short. If I'm wrong, please correct me). 

Thank you so much ! 

P.S. - If somebody could also help in choosing between these two FPGAs then that would be great too. I just need to take the image data, store it on a memory/RAM and later send it via some communication method like Ethernet/WiFi. The datarate from the sensor will be high (~700 mbps). Thanks again !
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should check on the data rate supported by the LVDS in both devices. Then consider the budget as well. My understanding is CV has dedicated LVDS which would be of better performance. Max 10 has some sort of soft LVDS.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Alright. 

My question pertained more to the physical interface : I just didn't see a kit that had some space for attaching LVDS pins from the image sensor (or I'm too stupid to figure it out). Any idea about that? 

Thanks !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If not mistaken, the LVDS in CV devkits are ported to the HSMC connectors. What are the connectors that you are looking for to direct interface with your image sensor?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm building my own board for the camera. So I wanted to design with a connector that isn't too hard for me to solder myself!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can study the HSMC schematic and built your connector to interface with it. The HSMC seems to have fix pinout.

0 Kudos