FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Which oscilloscope range to use with the onboard clock???

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, I'm using a DE2 board for a simple multiplexing system that I have wrote in VHDL. Now, I'm using the onboard clock which is (50 MHz). My question is, if I want to use an oscilloscope to see the output; which range of oscilloscope should I use??? In the University lab, we have only 50 MHz oscilloscpe which I think is not suitable. Also, could I make use of a virtual oscilloscpe??? The last question is, can I connect a function generator to the external clock socket on the board??? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could just add SignalTap to your design to monitor the signals if you're just looking for design functionality, using the 50 MHz clock as the sampling clock. 

I don't know about your other question. 

Steve
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know about the clock socket, bu I have used buttons etc in the past witout problems (after debouncing) when doing this you need to check the tresholds and max ratings, but I have never used the clock socket. As for the scope what is your changerate? if the signal only changes every other clockcycle you should be right according to nyqvist, but you might need a higher sample rate, on the other hand, why not try the scope you have and see what that does?

0 Kudos