FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

WiFi dongle with DE2 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have an experience with using a WiFi dongle connected to a DE2 board. In my project, I am trying to connect the DE2 to WiFi. Could you please help me.... 

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mona, 

I am not sure which OS you are using but we are trying to narrow down this scope and provide the best recommendation. Most of the DE2 documentation is captured as below link: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=165&no=529&partno=5 

For existing Linux documentation that closes to DE board Wifi configuration was the DE1: 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/16.0/tutorials/linux.pdf 

Those are the standard Linux configuration and you can refer to section 2.7.2 onward. Let us know if this helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for replying to me :) (I thought no one is going to reply)! 

Yes, My project is to connect to the network through WiFi. I though I can either do it by a WiFi dongle or an RFS daughter card from Terasic. I think I may buy the RFS. However, do they have a Verilog/VHDL examples that can help me get started? I will read the links your provided to find out. 

Thanks again! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Mona, 

I am not sure which OS you are using but we are trying to narrow down this scope and provide the best recommendation. Most of the DE2 documentation is captured as below link: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=165&no=529&partno=5 

For existing Linux documentation that closes to DE board Wifi configuration was the DE1: 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/16.0/tutorials/linux.pdf 

Those are the standard Linux configuration and you can refer to section 2.7.2 onward. Let us know if this helps. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Before deciding for one or the other solution, you should understand their different features and first of all, know what you exactly want to achieve. 

A "WiFi dongle" is an USB communication device designed to be used by a host computer with USB host capability. Parts of the network stack have to be implemented in software. Usual implementations are based on an OS, mostly Linux. 

WiFi part of RFS module is an ESP32 module, connected through UART. Many different configurations possible, no OS or embedded host processor required.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Before deciding for one or the other solution, you should understand their different features and first of all, know what you exactly want to achieve. 

A "WiFi dongle" is an USB communication device designed to be used by a host computer with USB host capability. Parts of the network stack have to be implemented in software. Usual implementations are based on an OS, mostly Linux. 

WiFi part of RFS module is an ESP32 module, connected through UART. Many different configurations possible, no OS or embedded host processor required. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for clarifying this! Indeed, I want to go with the ESP32 since my project is just to connect to Internet and transfer packets from the board to the PC. It is a challenging project, but I am reading now to see how to do it. 

Thanks again
0 Kudos