FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Wrong device detected from USB Blaster

CLa_R
Novice

Suddenly, my USB Blaster stopped working.

I can no longer transfer the schematic/VHDL to the FPGA.

I tried using JTAG Tag Debugger and noticed that the detected device is an altera 10CL, but in reality, the device mounted on my card is an Altera Cyclone IV EP4CE10E22.

Annotazione 2019-10-07 064808.png

The test on JTAG chain says that there is an incorrect clock value

Annotazione 2019-10-07 064808-2.png

What could be the problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CLa_R
Novice

I now obtain this message:

Error (209015): Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x020F10DD for device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0x00000000. Make sure the location of the target device on the circuit board matches the device's location in the device chain in the Chain Description File (.cdf).

In the .cdf fil I have this:

/* Quartus Prime Version 18.1.0 Build 625 09/12/2018 SJ Lite Edition */

JedecChain;

FileRevision(JESD32A);

DefaultMfr(6E);

P ActionCode(Cfg)

Device PartName(EP4CE10E22) Path("C:/Users/claud/OneDrive/FJM/Test 5500 FP/output_files/") File("Test5500FP.sof") MfrSpec(OpMask(1));

ChainEnd;

AlteraBegin;

ChainType(JTAG);

AlteraEnd;

--EDIT--

I am trying repeatedly to transfer another project, on the same card and with the same USB-Blaster and everything is working properly.

So I guess it's not a hardware problem but something in the software configuration. What may have happened?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Claudio,

Just would like to check, are you using our Cyclone IV Development kit? Or a custom board?

If you are using our development kit, can you change the USB Blaster to TCK 6MHz and all the switches to default position?

Thank You

0 Kudos
CLa_R
Novice

Hi Batman,

No, I'm not using your development board but my own board.

However it worked fine and, on the same card, with the same configuration but with another project, I have no problem transferring the file.

0 Kudos
CLa_R
Novice

Apparently I think I understood the problem

The program cannot be transferred when I use an oscillator supplied as IP from Altera. If I connect the internal oscillator output to my circuit, the circuit is not transferred. If I disconnect it, everything works.

This work well:

Annotazione 2019-10-08 214246.pngBut the other circuit also uses an internal oscillator and does not cause any problems.

Is it possible that my old circuit (the one that works well) uses an internal oscillator generated with a different version of Quartus II and for this reason does not give any problem?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Claudio,

In summary, the bitstream generated from other version of Quartus with similar design cannot be programmed in the FPGA with the error as stated above and then the bitstream generated from different version of Quartus can be programmed into the FPGA.

May i know what are the version that you are using? The 1 working and the 1 which is not working.

Yes, you may program the bitstream generated with old circuit (the one that works well) into the FPGA as long as it is working fine at hardware level.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
CLa_R
Novice

Hi Batman,

I am using Quartus II version 18.1

I have the error in new circuit only when I use the Internal Oscillator.

Actually, old circuit (that work well) use an internal oscillator but I supect that I created it with a old version of quartus II. Now I am using the old circuit with Quartus II 18.1

This is the situation:

Old circuit (with internal oscillator) -> Work well

New circuit (without oscillator) -> Work well

New circuit (with oscillator) -> Don't work

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Claudio,

You may continue to use the old bitstream on the device if you are ok with it. For new Quartus version, due to some expired IP and change in setting, we will need to upgrade all the IP if we are migrating the design from old version to new version. Just would like to know, have you upgraded the IP before the compilation?

Thank You.

0 Kudos