FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

altera_pcie_gui of Release_1113_80000000 not run

dsun01
New Contributor III

Dear Intel Support and Expert, 

I am learning PCIe through AN708, I loaded to the A10GX dev board, and can see the Altera PCI device on PC1 after I installed the driver.  I followed the instructions of the << how to run windows Gui for AVmm/DMA>>

1. downloaded VS redistributble package 2013. 

2. I couldn't install .NET framework 4.5, because Windows told me there is a new version already installed.  I checked with REgedit, the Net framwork setup.NDP.v4.full.release === 528372

3. I have QuartusPro 21.3 installed. 

when I click the 

altera_pcie_gui. seems there is nothing happening.  no error message, warning, nothing. 

there is a post at community. 

Problem with Ref.Software: altera_pcie_gui.exe launch - Intel Communities

claimed that win10 can run this application. 

there is something wrong with my win10 setup. need some suggestions. 

appreciate your help,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution
wchiah
Employee

Hi David,

An alternative suggestion to you is to try on  Linux version of the tool works on Ubuntu.

However it does not have all the features that are available in Window, for example error checking is missing

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
wchiah
Employee

Hi David,

There source files are available at this wiki for download.

https://fpgawiki.intel.com/wiki/Reference_Design:_Gen3x8_AVMM_DMA_with_external_DDR4_-_Arria_10

As for Windows driver and applications, they are provided by a third-party vendor; therefore, we cannot give out the source files. 

Their compiled executables are available for download at wiki above.

Regards,

Wei Chuan

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi,

I wish to follow up with you about this case.

Do you have any further questions on this matter ?

​​​​​​​Else I would like to have your permission to close this forum ticket

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

Hi Wincent, 

Do you think I am satisfied with the answer? I don't think the answer solved my problem or not?

if I understand the reply clearly, Intel don't know if the An708 run with win10 or not. 

I hope the support from Intel go through the claimed 3rd party tools and document the procedure and result clearly.  the new user like me do not need to test it again and again with different version of .Net or C++ distributions.

I hope you keep this post here forever to tell other people that An708 is not working. 

thank you,

David

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

I know complain won't solve any problems, here is more information from the win10 event viewer. 

run environment, 

win10

Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008, 2010, 2013 and 2015 redistributable, both 86 and 64 bits. 

Quartus 21.3

hope someone understands what the win10 error log means and provide some solutions to make it runs. 

Thanks,

Happy Chinese New Year of Rabbit. 

David

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi David,

Please accept my apology for that.

Can you please ensure that you had perform following step ?

0) Follow instructions of an708, download .qar and Linux and Windows drivers. Select correct FPGA and run syntesis and assembly steps

1) Boot computer and hald at BIOS stage. Download .sof file to FPGA

2) Soft reset and boot Windows or Linux. Install driver (follow instructions for Windows or Linux)

3) Open provided application. Make sure you can read PCIe config space

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

Hi Wincent

I can see the Altera PCI device after I load FPGA and reboot windows. which means everything is working( FPGA loaded and driver can see the device) before I run the altera_pcie_gui. 

could you ask someone run whatever you told me on win10, and make a video clip in the Intel training? or can Intel claim that altera_pcie_gui.exe support Win10. 

I think I do have some FPGA working experience, if there are thousands of engineers who are using Intel PCie core on Arria 10 FPGA without any problem, that will make me feel very frustrated. 

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi David,

I understand your frustration, to be honest I feel the same as well.

But anyhow you can file your question in forum, I might not able to answer accurately sometime, but I will try my best to help.

"I can see the Altera PCI device after I load FPGA and reboot windows. which means everything is working( FPGA loaded and driver can see the device) before I run the altera_pcie_gui. "

If I understand correctly, you are able to run the design in Window 10 right ?

Is there any other problem that I can assist you ?

Regards,

Wei Chuan

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi David,

I check with the related team since the beginning of the window support for Gen3x8_AVMM_DMA_-_Arria_10 design example window compatibility.

I just got feedback from them now.

I'm sorry to inform you that the design that you linked to is currently only supported for 64 bit Windows 7.

The design was tested for that OS. We cannot guarantee the results on Windows 8+.

Hope this answer your question, I do apologize if any inconvenience cause.

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi David,

An alternative suggestion to you is to try on  Linux version of the tool works on Ubuntu.

However it does not have all the features that are available in Window, for example error checking is missing

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

the answer is not ideal, but it is clear. I will find a win7 and install on the system.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
wchiah
Employee

Hi

Thanks for your understanding, sorry that I cannot help much on that as it is an quite old design example

I have to put this case in close status. My apologies if any inconvenience caused

Hence, This thread will be transitioned to community support.

If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts.

Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

If you feel your support experience was less than a 9 or 10,

please allow me to correct it before closing or let me know the cause so that I may improve your future support experience.

Regards,

Wincent_Intel

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

Hi Wincent, 

I think I should not expect too much from a free IP even though it is provided by Intel. 

sorry for bothering you too much, 

thank you for all your support,

David 

0 Kudos