FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5231 Discussions

automotive project question:data display with camera input and gps video input.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

bit of a noob to the FPGA ring. I can code in machine code and have an electronics engineering background (1992 so the concepts are in place) 

I want to use a terasic DE0 board to do the following (with custom hardware on top.) 

lcd screen size is 5.8" wvga with 3/4 of it visible - cannot use larger - it wont fit. 

All the electronics is mounted to the LCD panel aand I would like to drive it directly so the VGA out on the DE0 will not be used. 

desired operation: 

startup - displays the word 'nissan' in the correct font  

(image processor ?) 

normal operation 

- displays a tachometer with moving needle and 3 warning lights (3 layers - needle is one the background is 2nd , numbers and warning lights are the 3rd.) 

(I need a way to scan the original into a bitmap that I can load into memory then make 4 images of it depending on warning light status) 

reverse gear selected - 

NTSC camera displays (layer 4 is video) and tach needle, numbers disappear) 

( this is coding according to the avalon pdf. I believe ) 

when GPS is displayed via a external switch input (external garmin unit with a rf remote - NTSC video output) the system will resize that source and display tachometer as a bar graph below the GPS Screen. 

---- 

now the question I have is what do I need IP wise.  

the local distributor (braemac for australia) said I would need the VIP suite to get most of this working.  

looking further at it I also think I need the automotive reference design listed on the altera site and a dedicated lancelot board for video out as well but this gives external video and not a direct drive to a LCD panel. 

what I am looking foris a bit of feedback as to what IP I need to use. hardware I can do well although I wouldnt mind a tip on the LCD hardware driver. FPGAs are a new thing to me so I'm at a slight disadvantage to most of you :) I think. 

chris.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no thoughts on this?