FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

can't build example for Cyclone IV GX Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! I've got Cyclone IV GX Transceiver Starter Kit. When I trying to build examples/board_update_portal/c4gx15_starter_bup.qpf I see following error: Error (12006): Node instance "c4gx15_fpga_bup_sopc_inst" instantiates undefined entity "c4gx15_starter_bup_sopc" This happening on CentOS 6.5+Quartus 13.1 Web Edition. Then I tried to build this example with Quartus 12.1 on Windows - same error! I don't see any special instructions or requrements for just building this example. P.S. http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyclone-iv-starter.html Point of interest is Ethernet interface (SGMII) but "board update portal" example is using Nios 2 processor, I hope it's available for Web Edition...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just tried Quartus 11.1 Win XP 32-bit with appropriate examples installer - error the same =(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If the design is based on SOPC Builder, you need to use SOPC Builder to "Generate" the files, and then compile the project in Quartus. The error from Quartus is indicating it can't find the SOPC Builder generated files (probably because you didn't do that step).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

YES!!! Thank you, I forgot to generate nios system! SOLVED! :) 

At least I see in Wireshark that ethernet is working and DHCP discovers sent out. 

P.S. 

I'm also using Altera's competitor soft-CPU solution where approach is slightly different and in fact I'm newbie in Altera's SoPC.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FYI, SOPC Builder is deprecated. New designs should be using Qsys, which has the capability to add the .qsys file to the project and Quartus will automatically generate the files at compile time, similar flow to what the competitors product does. 

You need to use SOPC Builder to use those design examples because that is how they were created, but when it comes time to create your own you will want to migrate to Qsys and the latest Quartus.
0 Kudos