FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5921 Discussions

communicating DE2 board with host computer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing a project in DE2 board. I have designed a hardware in DE2 board and the application runs in C on the host computer. Time to time I have to send some data to PC and PC uses that data to find the appropriate hardware configuration and sends it to DE2 board. I want to have a link rate of 25Mbps, so, I want to use USB interface for the data communication (which,I suppose,can support up to 480Mbps) but I don't have any idea how to implement it. My hardware works fine and my C program runs fine but how do I make an interface between them? Do I need to program a USB driver on my PC as well? Can anybody help me out? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The DE2 board doesn't provide a suitable high speed interface. USB is full speed (12 MBit/s) and ethernet is 10 MBit/s. You would have to connect an additional interface.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. I thought I could use USB 2.0 host port in order to communicate with host computer. Does not this support speed of 480 Mbps? May be I was wrong there but that was what I though. Nevertheless link speed is not my primary concern at this moment. If DE2 board can support 12 Mbps I think that will work fair. My main concerns are: 

1) How do I send data to PC through USB interface 

2) What should I do on PC side so that it understands data coming from DE2. Do I need to program a driver on the PC side. 

3) How do I send data back to DE2 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your board is as the USB guest responding to the PC's command,so you should comprehend the USB command and interpret the protocol .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Philips USB controller isn't among the USB interfaces I used up to now. It could be, that complete examples with drivers are available from Philps/NXP support. A common method is to use device class, that is supported by a generic Windows driver. HID (human interface device, for devices as mouse, joystick etc.) e.g. is very simple, but only suitable for small data amount. CDC (communications device class, for serial ports, modems) is generally more suitable, but means some more effort on the device side. Or write your own driver, either with Windows DDK or with products as Jungo WinDriver.

0 Kudos