FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

configuring FTDI chip using MProg in DE1 (for FvM)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This question is intended for FvM, who I think knows the answer (look at http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2445 ), but avcourse anyone else who can help is welcome... 

I found all the posts regarding the Mprog tool and configuring the USB blaster FT245BM chip (in short, my DE1 isn't recognised by the PC, and I think it's related to the FTDI chip). 

the post explain how to program the chip in the DE1 (FT245BM) using the data from another USB Blaster. 

I opened up the Mprog and after I've made a file out of the regular USB Blaster I have, I saw the Mprog recognise the USB Blaster as a FT232BM chip, and not as FT245BM (the chip inside the DE1), 

So the question arise, how do I program the DE1 board, which have FT245BM chip with an EPT file from Mprog, which is intended to work with FT232BM chip? 

Will it not damage the ftdi chip? 

I dunno... 

Thx for all the answers. 

Roy
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think, Mprog writes FT232 when parsing the EEPROM content, because the chip type isn't coded uniquely in the data. It doesn't mean anything. No risk to damage the chip. With a wromg file, it won't work at worse (as before).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

with the MPROG utility you can clone an ftdi chip 

so if you have a working one, just connect it, start MPROG use SCAN then READ without parsing. save the content. disconnect the working one and replace it with the target one. now perfrom a new scan with MPROG then open the saved contend and programm it. 

now the device should work again, but be aware of that both are now identical and therefore cannot be used at the same time. if you want to use both at thesame time then you need to parse the information and modify one of the IDs (no idea out of my head which one) and programm the modified information. 

as FvM said, i don'T think you can destroy the device.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, here's a hot update! 

My DE1 is working! working! 

I did exactly what was written in the link regarding the Mprog and it worked. 

Hope it help all others. 

Roy
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

May someone send me or post the USB-BLASTER's EPT file ?  

Mprog scan seems to be normal but I'm not sure if EEPROM data is valid. 

I wish to try a recover but don't have another one to clone or compare. 

Thanks in advance, 

Maurilio
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

attached. 

This is the file I used. I've connected my USB blaster, read the data from it, and wrote the data back to the FTDI on the DE1. 

Good Luck! 

Roy
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Worked fine for me also. 

My attempts after write back FTDI chip resulted OK for my desktop and 

negative for a notebook. The problem in the notebook was fixed after driver reinstall. I have used the FTDI FTClean tool (VID=09FB PID=6001)for driver removal and installed driver again in the usual way.  

Thanks again, 

Mcarvalho
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

It seems I have the same problem. My DE1 board introduces itself with VID=0403 (FTDI !) and PID=6001 so Quartus can't find USB blaster.  

Could anyone please write the solution step by step? I've never done this before and I'm afraid not to damage the board. 

Thanks in advance, 

Marcin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

check out this service call.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

How to program the 93LC46 chip through FTDI 245BL, 

Through MProg i can able to scan and read the data,but cant able to program it, it shows NO DEVICE FOUND. 

PS: when i scan the device its showing as FT232 on the Device type.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FT232 and FT245 are using the same EEPROM format and can't be distinguished by MProg. Everything else works intuitively in my opinion. Of course you have to uncheck the option only program blank devices. Just look sharp.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks FVM 

It got working after i uncheck the only program blank devices. 

Can i change the Manufacturer name to my name(Kiran) for FUN. and again program it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The USB Blaster driver is checking part of the entries, I guess not the manufacturer name. Keep a backup copy and try.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I kept a backup copy and tried to change the name and programmed it, every thing went fine, 

But in device manager its showing Altera-USB Blaster only,And quartus is not detecting the Blaster at all, 

Again i load the backup copy, then quartus detected blaster. 

This means i cant change the name of it.
0 Kudos