FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

cyclone IV (EP4CE6E22C8N ) JTAG chain and Active Serial not working on Windows 10

daveed
Novice

Hey fellas,

I have a cyclone 4 development kit EP4CE6E22C8N that is, to my experience so far is unprogrammable through both JTAG and AS header interface using USB-BLASTER. This is tried on WINDOWS 10.

The issue when trying to program with JTAG is that although the usb-blaster is detected to be working well on my computer's devices manager, as well as in the programmer's hardware selection, the programming process is always 0% failed with the debugger saying "no device detected". Running jtagconfig on console shows "USB-BLASTER (USB-0) UNABLE TO READ DEVICE CHAIN (JTAG CHAIN BROKEN)".

On the other hand, Active Serial programmer displays 100% programming process with no error whatsoever. Despite that, after rebooting the FPGA board, it does not appear to run the program uploaded at all. This is due to how i tried to upload a simple AND gate with buttons as input and on-board LED as output, yet seemingly nothing happen and led stays on despite the multiple input changes i apply to the buttons and switches (a pre-caution i took because they share the same pin according to the pin assignment list from the vendor).

things i have tried;

-reinstalling quartus prime

-using quartus 2 web

-rebooting FPGA board for each  AS programming

-sets unused pin to tristate

-Making sure QUARTUS_ROOTDIR is on system variable Path

I have also tried connecting some I/O pins to external led and buttons, instead of the in-built ones, alas nothing happened.

I am aware that the buttons/switches are active low.

Is there something obvious an absolute beginner like me missed?

attached are peripheral schematic and pin assignment given to me by the vendor, as well as the jtagconfig -d console output

Cheers and thank you,

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know how do you connect your blaster to the board? Have you confirm the blaster connected to the board is in the correct orientation? Have you power up the board?

0 Kudos
daveed
Novice

Hello,

yes i have powered up the board before usb-blaster is connected to the laptop. As for the orientation i make sure the header fits correctly according to the bump present.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you able to measure the nConfig, nStatus and CONF_DONE signal?

0 Kudos
daveed
Novice

hi,

I am quite unfamiliar with the correct steps on how to do it, since it is a pre-built development board.

Do you mind telling me how? i figure using a logic analyser because scopes are expensive for students.

cheer,

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have Multimeter to try to measure this 3 pin signal?

0 Kudos
daveed
Novice

hi,

yes, do i measure the 3 pin signal on the usb blaster header or the fpga board?

also, what values should i be expecting?

cheers,

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please measure the signal on the board? I would expect that the nStatus and nConfig is always high while CONF_DONE is either.

0 Kudos
daveed
Novice

hi,

using a multi meter with one prong to the ground pin, both of nstatus and nconfig reads at 0 volt.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you confirm if the power is turn on? Can you confirm if all the power is having the correct voltage before checking the nStatus and nConfig pin?

0 Kudos
daveed
Novice

hi,

yes all of the led on the board turned on.

i've attached the schematic of the board given by the vendor below.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

From the schematic provided, I observed that the nCE pin is weak-pull down with 10K Ohm resistor. Is it possible to tie the nCE to GND?

If you are still facing the issue then do you have other boards to try?

0 Kudos