FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5238 Discussions

de0-nano board / Nios2 troublemaker

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good evening, 

actually i m facing big troubles in making my leds blink with a nios processor. I followed all steps in the tutorial given in den development kit and have used the saved projects file given by the cd. But i am getting the same error over and over again. 

This is error: 

'PIO_LED_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function) hello_world.c /Hello_0 line 29 C/C++ Problem 

When i go along with my mouse over that x symbol which represent an error ,it also says: 

Multiple markers at this line (line 29) 

- each undeclared identifier is only reported once for each function it appears in 

- in expansion of macro 'IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA' 

- 'PIO_LED_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function) 

Thats the c-code im using which can also be found in the de0-nano board manuel (dvd or internet). 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------# include <stdio.h># include "system.h"# include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h" 

int main() 

int count = 0; 

int delay; 

while(1) 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, count & 0x01); // error message X 

delay = 0; 

while(delay < 2000000) 

delay++; 

count++; 

return 0; 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I ve tested that nios_project with Quartus 13 which was also sent with the development kit. I ve encountered some strange issues during compliation like not creating an .elf file. Thats why i decided to make a new clean installation of the newest quartus version (15.0). But I am still not managing to run the code i ve provided above. 

Nios2 and its components were created by Qsys. I ve even checked the BASE_ADRESS in QSYS and in "system.h" against each other, but they re the same. I also checked the the name (LED_PIO_BASE) in "system.h" which is the right one im using in the ALTERA function. 

Actually i dont know what to do.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Take a look at your system.h. If LED_PIO_BASE isn't there, look in QSYS. That name comes from the name of a compnent in QSYS called LED_PIO. If that isn't there or has a different name, the symbol LED_PIO_BASE won't be in system.h.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Galfoz, 

I ve checked that already. In QSYS the PIO was added as an output (8 bits width) and renamed as "led_pio". That entry can be found in "system.h". Here is a cutout. 

system.h 

------------------------------------------------ 

# define ALT_MODULE_CLASS_led_pio altera_avalon_pio 

# define LED_PIO_BASE 0x21020 

# define LED_PIO_BIT_CLEARING_EDGE_REGISTER 0 

# define LED_PIO_BIT_MODIFYING_OUTPUT_REGISTER 0 

# define LED_PIO_CAPTURE 0 

# define LED_PIO_DATA_WIDTH 8 

# define LED_PIO_DO_TEST_BENCH_WIRING 0 

# define LED_PIO_DRIVEN_SIM_VALUE 0 

# define LED_PIO_EDGE_TYPE "NONE" 

# define LED_PIO_FREQ 50000000 

# define LED_PIO_HAS_IN 0 

# define LED_PIO_HAS_OUT 1 

# define LED_PIO_HAS_TRI 0 

# define LED_PIO_IRQ -1 

# define LED_PIO_IRQ_INTERRUPT_CONTROLLER_ID -1 

# define LED_PIO_IRQ_TYPE "NONE" 

# define LED_PIO_NAME "/dev/led_pio" 

# define LED_PIO_RESET_VALUE 0 

# define LED_PIO_SPAN 16 

# define LED_PIO_TYPE "altera_avalon_pio" 

----------------------------------------------------- 

The name "led_pio" is fitting with the entry generated in the system.h. Case sensitivity does not seem to be considered cos nothing happened when i changed the function s argument which is called in the main(). Even putting the adress_base itself results into an error. 

Moreover there s only one warning in QSYS.  

------------------------------------------------------- 

Warning: nios_system.cpu: Nios II Classic cores are now superseded by improved Gen 2 cores. 

-------------------------------------------------------
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Identifiers in C are case sensitive. Rename the Qsys led_pio component to LED_PIO. Don't worry about the nios warning. It is just telling you that a newer NIOS is available. The error with IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA is because you haven't included the .h file for the GPIO core. I don't recall its name at the moment, but you should be able to find example code that uses it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is the problem still happens?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is a known eclipse bug. 

From the menu item 'Project' select 'C/C++ Index' -> 'Rebuild'
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is this problem happen sin window based or Linux based eds?