FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5238 Discussions

de10-nano (cyclone V) - FPGA read and write from HPS SDRAM - need general direction

zangman
Novice

I would like to access the DDR SDRAM on the HPS from the FPGA fabric. I know I can enable it in the HPS component in Platform Designer and it shows `f2h_sdram0_data` as an Avalon Memory Mapped Slave.

What approach do I need to take to access this data? Do I need to write my own Avalon Memory Mapped Master to read the data? Or can I just export `f2h_sdram0_data` and use it directly in my verilog design?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
zangman
Novice

Thanks Anil! I was really in the dark as I didn't know where to begin. After a fair bit of research, I figured out what is needed:

• We need to enable the f2h_sdram0_data in the HPS in platform designer. This interface includes Avalon Slaves with the Burst interface
  • Create an Avalon MM Master that supports burst interface to interact with the SDRAM
  • Regarding DMA: A DMA is used to save CPU cycles by moving memory from one location to another. It's not needed for my requirements as I just want to access something in SDRAM and do something immediately with it.

I started documenting all the steps in great detail at the link below. It's still a WIP but hopefully will  be able to finish it soon and somebody new to SoCs (like myself) will find it useful:

https://github.com/zangman/de10-nano/wiki/FPGA-SDRAM-Communication:-Introduction

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnilErinch_A_Intel

Hi ,

You can see the below thread to understand better how the data can be accessed .

https://forum.rocketboards.org/t/hps-fpga-ddr-sharing-on-cyclone-v-soc/1454/4

Thanks and Regards

Anil

zangman
Novice

Thanks Anil! I was really in the dark as I didn't know where to begin. After a fair bit of research, I figured out what is needed:

• We need to enable the f2h_sdram0_data in the HPS in platform designer. This interface includes Avalon Slaves with the Burst interface
  • Create an Avalon MM Master that supports burst interface to interact with the SDRAM
  • Regarding DMA: A DMA is used to save CPU cycles by moving memory from one location to another. It's not needed for my requirements as I just want to access something in SDRAM and do something immediately with it.

I started documenting all the steps in great detail at the link below. It's still a WIP but hopefully will  be able to finish it soon and somebody new to SoCs (like myself) will find it useful:

https://github.com/zangman/de10-nano/wiki/FPGA-SDRAM-Communication:-Introduction

AnilErinch_A_Intel

Hi Zangman,

Good to know that your issue is resolved and thanks for sharing the solution with the community.

Thanks and Regards

Anil