FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

deo nano cyclone 4 E board user manual example

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to create the simple_counter as described in the user guide. 

I have followed the steps to the point where the simple_counter.v file is in the project. 

the simple_counter.bsf file has also been created and the symbols appear in the .bsf pane. 

When I insert I get the following message 

"Can't insert symbol into Block Design File simple_coumter because the symbol represents the current Block Design File" 

What am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is your project also called simple_counter? If yes then your top level file will be called simple_counter by default, and it cant instantiate a component with the exact same name. You can either create a new block design file called for example simple_counter_top, then with a right click make it the top level file, and then instantiate your simple_counter block from there, or call your verilog file something else (for example simple_counter_component.v)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is your project also called simple_counter? If yes then your top level file will be called simple_counter by default, and it cant instantiate a component with the exact same name. You can either create a new block design file called for example simple_counter_top, then with a right click make it the top level file, and then instantiate your simple_counter block from there, or call your verilog file something else (for example simple_counter_component.v) 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you 

Martin
0 Kudos