FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5151 Discussions

deo nano cyclone 4 E board user manual example

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to create the simple_counter as described in the user guide. 

I have followed the steps to the point where the simple_counter.v file is in the project. 

the simple_counter.bsf file has also been created and the symbols appear in the .bsf pane. 

When I insert I get the following message 

"Can't insert symbol into Block Design File simple_coumter because the symbol represents the current Block Design File" 

What am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is your project also called simple_counter? If yes then your top level file will be called simple_counter by default, and it cant instantiate a component with the exact same name. You can either create a new block design file called for example simple_counter_top, then with a right click make it the top level file, and then instantiate your simple_counter block from there, or call your verilog file something else (for example simple_counter_component.v)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is your project also called simple_counter? If yes then your top level file will be called simple_counter by default, and it cant instantiate a component with the exact same name. You can either create a new block design file called for example simple_counter_top, then with a right click make it the top level file, and then instantiate your simple_counter block from there, or call your verilog file something else (for example simple_counter_component.v) 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you 

Martin