FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5241 Discussions

fail to compile after assigned the SFP_TX_P1 of SFP+ module (arria V gx dev kit)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to use the SFP+ module which converts electric signal to optical signal to transmit some data.  

I use the arria V gx dev kit. I assigned the data to pin PIN_W37 and select the i/o standard as "1.5-V PCML" in "pin planner". It automatically generates an output names "SFP_TX_P1(n)" as an differential pair.  

When compiling it keeps saying 

"Error (175020): Illegal constraint of pin to the region (0, 47) to (0, 47): no valid locations in region Info (175028): The pin name: SFP_TX_P1 

Error (184016): There were not enough differential output pin locations available (1 location affected) 

Info (175029): pin containing PIN_W37 

Info (175015): The I/O pad is constrained to the location PIN_W37 due to: User Location Constraints (PIN_W37)" 

could someone help to tell me what is the problem. appreciate~
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

correction: the pin number is PIN_W37, not PIN_W36

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's almost the same issue that I have at the moment. Actually in the pin assignment at the reference manual it says that the SFP pins have the 3.3V/LVTTL I/O Standard but I cannot choose it in Quartus. Any ideas?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm curious if any of you solved this. I'm getting the same type of error that isn't giving me a lot to go on. This is related to some LVDS RX inputs I'm using with altlvds_RX on the Cyclone V (Bemicro CV eval board).  

It seems like it is failing some "legality" check, but it isn't providing a lot of insight into what I can do about it. Searches haven't provided a lot of information. 

Thanks, 

Lance
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I don't remember exactly how I worked around this right now. If I remember correctly, that error can also be caused by a bad configuration of the transceiver block. I used the 1.5 V PCML I/O Standard for the serdes input and output pins and 2.5V for the rest. I also set the transmitter disable to 0 to activate the transmitter. 

Regards 

Eduardo
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Eduardo, I think in my case the problem was solved by keeping all the pins constrained to one region. I had to move the LVDS to another connector. I had originally assumed that all of the LVDS RX pins brought to the headers were from the same bank but that was not the case. I wish the error would have been more clear, but I am past it at this point. 

Regards, 

Lance
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh yes, now I remember that I had problems with the location of the clock pin that I was using for the transceiver clock. It had to be one that was in the same bank or at least a special location close to the SFP module. 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI 

I was facing with the same issue. 

i have assigned clk,tx and rx differential pins in the same IO bank in pin planner and IO standard is 1.5V PCML 

while compiling its giving error as 

Error (175020): Illegal constraint of pin to the region (183, 42) to (183, 42): no valid locations in region 

Info (175028): The pin name: FO_RX_P[1] 

Error (184016): There were not enough differential input pin locations available (1 location affected) 

Info (175029): pin containing PIN_T1 

Info (175015): The I/O pad is constrained to the location PIN_T1 due to: User Location Constraints (PIN_T1) 

Please help me out
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

HI 

I was facing with the same issue. 

i have assigned clk,tx and rx differential pins in the same IO bank in pin planner and IO standard is 1.5V PCML 

while compiling its giving error as 

Error (175020): Illegal constraint of pin to the region (183, 42) to (183, 42): no valid locations in region 

Info (175028): The pin name: FO_RX_P[1] 

Error (184016): There were not enough differential input pin locations available (1 location affected) 

Info (175029): pin containing PIN_T1 

Info (175015): The I/O pad is constrained to the location PIN_T1 due to: User Location Constraints (PIN_T1) 

Please help me out 

--- Quote End ---  

Are you using general purpose IOs or transceiver IOs? 1.5V PCML is only for transceiver IOs.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you using general purpose IOs or transceiver IOs? 1.5V PCML is only for transceiver IOs. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes..I am using transceiver IOs.