FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5234 Discussions

how to remotely use two dev kits

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi to all! 

I have two identical dewkits (dk-dev-4sgx230n ) and I need to use them from a remote workstation at the same time. 

The devkits are both connected to a windows pc that I access by remote desktop. 

I have two problems with this configuration: 

1) windows change the USB-blaster - USB port association each boot of remote pc so I'm not able to distinguish wich devkit I'm using. There is a way to know it or to associate at each usb-blaster a mnemonic name? 

2) After firmware develop I will need to write the flash memory, but all the procedures I found for flash the devkit require to change the position of Sw2, thing that I can not do remotely ;) Any suggestion?  

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

1) windows change the USB-blaster - USB port association each boot of remote pc so I'm not able to distinguish wich devkit I'm using. There is a way to know it or to associate at each usb-blaster a mnemonic name? 

--- Quote End ---  

You can program the FTDI chip in the USB-Blaster to have a unique serial number. Download the FT_PROG tool 

http://www.ftdichip.com/support/utilities.htm 

Read the contents of the EEPROM and save it as an XML file, then edit the serial number, and re-program the EEPROM. For example, for the two kits I have I used the serial numbers S4GXDK01 and S4GXDK02. 

If you only have one board plugged in, then Quartus will call them both [USB-0], however, if you have both kits plugged in, then they are [USB-0] and [USB-1], and always in the same order. The other sanity check I included was to use one of the DIP switches on the board - 0 for board zero, and 1 for board 1. The downloaded design checks that its on the right board before starting :) 

--- Quote Start ---  

2) After firmware develop I will need to write the flash memory, but all the procedures I found for flash the devkit require to change the position of Sw2, thing that I can not do remotely ;) Any suggestion?  

--- Quote End ---  

JTAG download has always been sufficient for my tests, so I didn't look into this, sorry. 

Cheers, 

Dave