FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

how to use get_device_names

CKang11
Novice

hi.I have some problems in FPGA . Now i am debugging my application using VJTAG. but I cannot get the device name using get_device_names'

The command is exec C:\\altera\\10.0\\quartus\\bin64\\quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_device_names -hardware_name USB-Blaster[usb-0]

some errors happen. In the attachment you will see it.how I solve it?the quartus II version is 10. FPGA EP3C25Q240

33 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Chen Kang,

I think the method to execute the command is not correct. Kindly refer to link below for the correct format.

https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/altera-www/global/zh_CN/pdfs/literature/manual/tclscriptrefmnl.pdf (Page 287)

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Chen Kang,

Can check if your USB Blaster is in usb-0? Also, can you use USB-0 instead of usb-0.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
hi,yes, the command get_hardware _names is used. usb-blaster[usb-0] is displayed.It is strange . when i use signaltapII , the device name may be seen in it.This show the usb-blaster and device are ok. Also the script file u give me from the quartus scripting reference manual is not run.what can I do?
0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
do u receive the email I sent?pls answer me
0 Kudos
CKang12
Beginner

hi,yes, the command get_hardware _names is used. usb-blaster[usb-0] is displayed.It is strange . when i use signaltapII , the device name may be seen in it.This show the usb-blaster and device are ok. Also the script file u give me from the quartus scripting reference manual is not run.what can I do?

0 Kudos
CKang12
Beginner

now I use USB-0 instead of usb-0. Itdoesn'twork.In the attachment u will seethe image

0 Kudos
CKang12
Beginner
0 Kudos
CKang12
Beginner

Do u give me some advice on it?it is urgent, my project stop due to it. pls answer me as soon as possible

0 Kudos
CKang12
Beginner

now I use USB-0 instead of usb-0.Itdoesn'twork.In the attachment u will seethe image

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Chen Kang,

It might be due to several reason. Can you try to execute "get_hardware_names" and get the correct hardware name. After you got it, then you use the hardware_name with the "get_devices_name" command.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
yes, i have done it, 1. get_hardware_names is used, the usb-blaster[ usb-0] is returned. 2, I use get_device_names -hardware_names usb-blaster[usb-0], but errors happen. what should I do?
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you show me the screenshot? would like the check the command correctness

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi CKang12,

You cannot use the tcl console in the Quartus software to run the jtag package which is only available in quartus_stp.

In the xterm,

1) quartus_sh -s

2) get_hardware_names to determine the names of the programming hardware attached to and configured for the JTAG server

3) get_device_names -hardware_name <hardware name>

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Kay
Beginner
0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
hi, quartus_stp has been called before get_device_names.(the command is quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware --get_hardware_name usb-blaster[usb-0]. In addition , get_hardware_names , which belong to jtag pakage,can be used in tcl_console(quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware_names). the result is displayed: usb-blaster[usb-0]. If the command get_hardware_names is uesed without quartus_stp, the command can not work
0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice

hi, quartus_stp has been called before get_device_names.(the command is quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware --get_hardware_name usb-blaster[usb-0]. In addition , get_hardware_names , which belong to jtag pakage,can be used in tcl_console(quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware_names). the result isdisplayed: usb-blaster[usb-0]. If the command get_hardware_names is uesed without quartus_stp,  the command can not work

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
hi, quartus_stp has been called before get_device_names.(the command is quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware --get_hardware_name usb-blaster[usb-0]. In addition , get_hardware_names , which belong to jtag pakage,can be used in tcl_console(quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware_names). the result isdisplayed: usb-blaster[usb-0]
0 Kudos