FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

how to use get_device_names

CKang11
Novice

hi.I have some problems in FPGA . Now i am debugging my application using VJTAG. but I cannot get the device name using get_device_names'

The command is exec C:\\altera\\10.0\\quartus\\bin64\\quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_device_names -hardware_name USB-Blaster[usb-0]

some errors happen. In the attachment you will see it.how I solve it?the quartus II version is 10. FPGA EP3C25Q240

33 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Does quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_device_names -hardware_name usb-blaster[usb-0] work in xterm?

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
hi, quartus_stp has been called before get_device_names.(the command is quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware -get_hardware_name usb-blaster[usb-0]. In addition , get_hardware_names , which belong to jtag pakage,can be used in tcl_console(quartus_stp --tcl_eval get_hardware_names). the result isdisplayed: usb-blaster[usb-0]。By the way , what is the meaning of "xterm"
0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

I'm sorry, what i meant is command line interface.

get_device_names -hardware_name  [lindex [get_hardware_names] 0]

0 Kudos
Kay
Beginner

Do you manage to run the command get_device_names -hardware_name [lindex [get_hardware_names]0] ?

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
hi, it is OK .IThe command work in xterm. So strange.In tcl console ,get_hardware_names can work, but get_device _names can not. they belong to jtag pakage.
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

It seems like you can get the device name by executing on the command line interface.

Are you using Quartus II software version 10? Can you try in the latest version of the software and see the problem persists?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know if you have any updates?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
hi, the question is solved. the command must run in the xterm. i want to know if virtual jtag and signal tapII can run for debug in one project at the same time ? I try running vjtag and signal tap II at the same time ,but the signal tap II can not be trigered .why? Is it because they share one jtag interface , which make them not be used at the same time?
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Do you see any error message?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
there is not any error messege. only not triggered .
0 Kudos
CKang11
Novice
could the command device _lock lead to it? According to the manual , device_lock Description Obtain an exclusive JTAG communication to the devicefor the subsequent IR and DR shift operations. The device must be locked before any instruction and/or data register shift operation. This should be used as little time as possible as it denies the access of other applications to this chain. The command, unlock, should be called as soon as possibleto allow other applications to access the device.
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

According to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_virtualjtag.pdf (Page 6), you can use the Virtual JTAG IP core in tandem with other on-chip debugging applications, such as the Signal Tap logic analyzer, to increase debugging visibility. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos