FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

https://fpgawiki.intel.com/uploads/3/3a/C4gx15_starter_qsys_pcie_gen1x1.zip I use this example to test PCIe.

WZhan10
Beginner

I want to test the transmission speed between PC and FPGA via PCIE. It need the help of DMA.

I use this example but I find that the DMA (can be seen in QSYS) do not connect to PC? Do this mean this example is not suitable to test speed although the APP on WINDOWS can work with it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WZhan10
Beginner

Should I change an example if I want to test the transmission speed between PC and FPGA via PCIe?

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

DMA will not be connected to PC. The design flow is

PC <-> PCIe link <-> FPGA <-> PCie with DMA IP <-> PCIe EP Application

The DMA IP is meant for the PCIe application to communicate faster with the PCIe EP core in the FPGA. Download the example design, compile and program the FPGA on the kit, either insert the kit into PCIe slot in PC, power up , install linux drivers / windows drivers and start the PCIe application which will run the DMA tests..

0 Kudos
WZhan10
Beginner

Hi Abraham,

Thanks for your answer!

Is there an example which can be used to test the SPEED between PC and FPGA via PCIe?

(In the example,the DMA should work between PC and the memory on FPGA.)

Maybe,I misunderstand.

Actually, I want to measure the maximum transmission speed of the PCIE interface. I don't know how to do it.

Best Regards

John

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

Hi John,

The PCIe DMA application that comes bundled with the kit / reference design has few tests that show the BW or speed of the PCIe transfers. You can run this reference design to get to know the design. Then you could write your own device driver and application and check ( this would be easier o Linux since the source code maybe available). Intel (Altera) may not provide the source code for Windows based device drivers.

If you're using the PCIe dev kit, then depending on the board, there may be reference designs or design examples that show various PCIe link speeds like x1 , x2, x4. You can use each of these to get a feel of how fast the PCIe design/link is working at.

-Abraham