FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

i need to know if we can dumb one .pof file and then read another .rpd file in UFM

AKAYA
Novice

here am creating two project at a time. i will dump one of the .pof file and then i need to read another projects .rpd file through serial terminal.

once the .pof file is dumped then the fpga should be able to read any application data in the form of .rpd file through the serial terminal. thus making it a continuous flow.

is this possible??

kindly reply... urgent

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
Hi AKAYA, Maybe you can try Remote System Update (RSU). https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altremote.pdf In RSU, you will have Factory Image & Application Image. You can have Application Image as many as you want (depends on your Flash size). Then you able to control which Image (projects) you want FPGA to load (it work like switch, you can choose which Image you want to load). And you can update the new image into flash without need to stop the FPGA. Thus, making it a continuous flow. “we can dumb one .pof file and then read another .rpd file in UFM” For you case, you need some time to dumb one .pof file (FPGA stop working for a while to erase). And you also need some time to read the rpd file to you FPGA. This will also create a continuous flow, but not efficient as RSU. Thanks
0 Kudos
AKAYA
Novice

thanks for the reply....

actually the problem am facing is that the UFM can read the same application file.

but, in my case the application file(.rpd file) is different from the source file. once u dumb the .pof file then it should be in such a state that the it can read any application file(.rpd file).

for CFM it works properly, but for the UFM it doesnot read any application file as such. it can read only the corresponding application file.

can you just suggest any idea?

please reply..... its urgent

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
Hi AKAYA, . If you refer to “Guideline: Program and READ UFM with JTAG” (3.2 on page 9), you can program UFM using JTAG interface. The JTAG interface only support JAM, POF and JBC file. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_ufm.pdf#page=9 Thanks
0 Kudos
AKAYA
Novice

thanks for replying...

the ufm need to read the data through serial interface (uart ) and not through the jtag.

0 Kudos
AKAYA
Novice

can someone tell if we can read the any application data through the UART. In my application only once we will dumb the .pof file, after that we should be able to read any .rpd file through the uart

please reply..... its urgent

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AKAYA,

I'm apologize for late reply. I didn't realize your reply.

Yes, we can write/read data through the UART.

As long as your UART interface is okay (using our UART IP or your custom UART interface), you should able to use UART.

Below is the UART interface with NIOS II Processor example.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an741.pdf

I hope this will help.

Thanks😉

0 Kudos
AKAYA
Novice

Hi,

thanks for the reply....

I can communicate through the UART. But the problem is in reading other application file which is not created for the .pof file.

it works like only once we dump the .pof file in the FPGA. after that it should be able to read any .rpd file as and when required.

is this possible???

kindly waiting for the reply.... please do reply soon....

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AKAYA,

Yes, it is possible. However you need to have IP to control the Flash.

For example, if you using MAX 10, you need to have On-Chip Flash IP in order to control the flash. First, you need to disable write protection (any sector you want), erase that sector, and write new .rpd file into it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos