FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

java.lang.Exception: No USB Blaster detected. Arria5 Starter Kit Windows 7

XD3
Beginner

We have an Arria5 Starter kit.

I downloaded the kit package from Arria5  Starter Kit page.  It said the project was compiled with Quartus II 12.1sp1.  I could not find 12.1 on intel's website anymore, so I installed Quartus II 13.1, which was the oldest version available.

But running the board test system, clock control and power config does not work from windows.  It says I need to install Quartus II and point the env variables to the installation directory, which I already have.  

The only way to start BTS, Clk_Cont, and Pwr Cfg is to run them from the Nios2 command shell, with commands "java -jar bts.jar".

But when I run them, I get the java.lang.Exception: No USB Blaster detected message.

I can run jtagconfig and see the USB blaster and the 2 FPGA devices are on the jtag chain.

Saw another answer to similar question that the user needs to download Quartus 12.1, but that is not available anymore, as mentioned above.

Any tips appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi, i understand that you can detect the JTAG using "jtagconfig --debug" but you get error message when launching the BTS in linux.

Can i check the following with you:

1. Can SOF be programmed with quartus programmer?

2. Are you using USB Blaster II? Can you try other USB Blaster II?

3. Can you check and update the JAVA version to latest?

0 Kudos
XD3
Beginner

Hi Yuanli:

1. Can SOF be programmed with quartus programmer?

Yes, I can program the 2 FPGA's on the start kit board with Quartus.  See screenshot.

2. Are you using USB Blaster II? Can you try other USB Blaster II?

As I understand, the USB Blaster II is on the Arria5 Starter board?  I am connected to the board via USB, so i dont think there's a way to try an external USB Blaster.

3. Can you check and update the JAVA version to latest?

Yes, I checked, and Java update is run every week automatically, and it was last run on 3/2/2022.

I attached some screenshots:

- Arria5 starter kit board programmed successfully via Quartus

- Error I get when I try to start the BTS Clk Control and power Monitor utilities in windows

- Paths I set in windows for the BTS, Clk Control and Power Monitor Utilities. (I'm using Windows 7 64-bit)

- I can start the BTS, Clk_cont, and PM via Nios2 Command Shell, but no USB Blaster.  Even though I can see devices and USB Blaster when running jtagconfig.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you try to restart the PC, change all switches on board to default position and try again?

0 Kudos
XD3
Beginner

Hi YuanLi, I tried your suggestion, but still same errors.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

thanks for the update. Seems like the driver is good as you can use it with SOF programming. The only thing is to use the same quartus version with the installation kit.

0 Kudos
XD3
Beginner

Hi YuanLi,

could you tell me how I can download Quartus 12.1?  The download links have been taken off of Intel's website.  12.1 is the version that Arria5 Starter Board uses.

Thanks

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

The Quartus version is obsolete and no longer available. Apologize for any inconvenient caused.

0 Kudos