FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

max ii development kit problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

I have a max ii development kit. Today i tried to test PCI reference design. 

I can install inf file,but I can't install the PC driver. My os is windows xp. 

And the maxiipci.exe can operator well. Only the interrupt can't operator. 

If i push the button s1 ,the os shut down. Can somebody help me to solve this problem. thks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here's what *should* happen with a PCI board. 

If I plug a board into a PCI slot, and do not install a driver, then the BIOS should configure the PCI interface on boot, and the interrupt line from the board should stay *disabled*. 

It sounds to me like your board is asserting its interrupt line onto the PCI bus when it should not. The OS is getting interrupted, an no one (no driver) is claiming the interrupt, so the OS gives up and crashes (Hey, it is Windows!). Try rebooting your machine with a 'real' device driver development OS like Linux, and the kernel will give you a warning indicating that there has been unhandled interrupts, so it will disable the IRQ. You would also be able to tell which IRQ the board has been assigned and whether any other devices on the bus are also using that interrupt. If for example your network interface and your MAX II card share the same IRQ line, then you *must* have a driver that handles interrupts correctly, otherwise the OS will disable the IRQ and you'll lose your networking. My recommendation is to keep trying PCI slots until you find an IRQ line that is exclusive to your board (under Linux lspci can be used to list the resources used by PCI boards). Having an exclusive IRQ will help in debugging code. If you are doing this for your job, then you really should have a PCI bus logic analyzer on hand too. 

So, take a step back. Operate the board in standalone mode on the bench. Run the design in Modelsim and see what happens when you push the push-button. Confirm this in hardware. Then modify the design to only enable the IRQ output if a control register is used to enable it, i.e., only if a device driver writes to the interrupt enable register. 

If you use the board under Linux, then you can use the sysfs PCI interface to access the registers on the board. 

What are you trying to do with the board? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all! 

I want to find source files for "maxiipci.exe" pc application... 

Where can I find it? 

Thanks all!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I want to find source files for "maxiipci.exe" pc application... 

Where can I find it? 

--- Quote End ---  

I think the only thing you will get are the resources here: 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-maxii-1270.html 

If there is an application without source code, you might be able to ask an FAE to get you the source code. However, this is a PCI board, so there is really nothing that is Altera-specific about writing your own device driver interface; just the PCI IDs. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok. 

Thank you, Dave! 

Good luck all!
0 Kudos