FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

power supply to Cyclone10GX development board

PVanL
Novice

Dear Support,

I am using this Cyclone10GX developmentboard, and want to insert it into a system WITHOUT the 6-pole ATX power plug. Officially, the PCIE golden fingers can only supply up to 40 W, which is not sufficient for the board (75W). Question: can i connect the external power supply  (intended for standalone operation) to this board, but now used in the PCIE connector/configuration without damaging anything? The manual is not 100 % clear about this. It only says: you should NOT use the ATX supply (J12) TOGETHER with the external supply on J13.

Please advice, Pieter

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Welcome to INTEL forum. Based on my understanding, the recommended power supply connection to connect the power supply to the dev kit board is,

·      ATX connector is compatible with 2x4 or 2x3 plug

·      When the board is on desk, power input can be from either ATX or Adaptor, but not both at same time

·      When the board is in PCIe socket, power input can be from standard PCIe connector only (75W max), or from both ATX and PCIe connector

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter. If you don’t have any further question, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
PVanL
Novice

yes, consider it closed. if you look at the schematics of the PCB, then you see that J12 and J13 are really parallel, so you can also connect the external power supply to the board while in PCIE slot (if it fails to deliver the 75 W). regards, Pieter

0 Kudos