FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

"Match PLL Compensation Clock" assignment doesn't work

RLee42
Novice

Hi,

When I used Quartus to compile for a cyclone V device I got an warning, which was just the one in the link below. I followed the Workaround/Fix part of the link to try to remove the warning but failed:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd09192012_189.html

There are some information about the PLL for the project:

1. There is only one PLL instance in the project, the type is integer PLL and normal mode with automatic reset;
  2. When I generated PLL I didn't see the options for compensation;
  3. When I set the "Match PLL Compensation Clock" assignment, I chose the node that could have a green tick ahead the assignment, which was end with altera_pll:altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll.

My questions are:

1. Whether the PLL clocks are not compensated if the warning is there?
  2. What can I do to eliminate the warning?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi RLee42!

First of all, there are different compensation modes in Altera PLL IP core, so it's strange that you didn't see them. You can read about them here : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/altera_pll.pdf - Operation modes.

You can choose them from the GUI - you already made a selection (normal).

About your questions -

1. In that case fitter will compensate all PLL clocks like this : " Normal mode—the PLL feedback path source is a global or regional clock network, minimizing clock delay from the input clock pin to the core registers through global or regional clock network."
  2. The workaround should help - I successfully eliminated problem in my own project.

Hope that helps.

--

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
RLee42
Novice

Hi lvan,

Thank you for your time.

I did choose "normal" when I generated PLL and I thought Quartus should know the way to compensate, however, I still got a warning as below:

Warning (177007): PLL(s) placed in location FRACTIONALPLL_X0_Y1_N0 do not have a PLL clock to compensate specified - the Fitter will attempt to compensate all PLL clocks.

Then I assumed that there might be some extra options for compensation which I missed. That's why I said "When I generated PLL I didn't see the options for compensation".

Thank you.​

Best Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi RLee42!

Ok, I see.

I can say that in most cases you can ignore that warning, but to eliminate it, try what GNg suggests below -> => set_instance_assignment -name MATCH_PLL_COMPENSATION_CLOCK ON -to "<PLL name>|outclk_wire[0]"

--

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
RLee42
Novice

Hi lvan,

Thank you and I tried it too but failed.

I'm not sure if you can see the message I replied GNg.

Yes, you are right that I could ignore it. I just have interest on why the warning is there that I may have something that can be improved.

I don't know whether it matters that I couldn't edit the PLL IP in the project.

It was also strange that I generated the PLL in Quartus Lite 18.1 and tried editing it in Quartus Lite 18.1 too, which was also met by some other people .

I might try to ​generate it again if no better choice.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi RLee42!

I can see the message of GNg, and first of all, please try to do what he suggests - you need to find from netlist "~outclk_wire[0]".

As about problems with editing of PLL in 18.1 Quartus it is another problem, you can explain the problem in more details.

--

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
RLee42
Novice

Hi Ivan,

Thank you and I found it at last.

Best regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee

Yes, you should be able to see each of compensation in PLL IP GUI. Just select any of them and see if it will get rid of the warning.

0 Kudos
GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee
Please use this command in qsf to set which clock output to be compensated => set_instance_assignment -name MATCH_PLL_COMPENSATION_CLOCK ON -to "<PLL name>|outclk_wire[0]"
0 Kudos
RLee42
Novice

Hi GNg,

Thank you for your reply.

As Even I chose "Normal mode" when generated the PLL, I still got a warning as below:

Warning (177007): PLL(s) placed in location FRACTIONALPLL_X0_Y1_N0 do not have a PLL clock to compensate specified - the Fitter will attempt to compensate all PLL clocks

Then I also tried adding a command in qsf by using assignment editor.

I tried two commands separately which could have a green tick in assignment editor as below (my PLL didn't have outclk_wire[0], which was generated by Quartus Lite 18.1 for cyclone V):

set_instance_assignment -name MATCH_PLL_COMPENSATION_CLOCK ON -to "pll:u_pll|pll_0002:pll_inst|altera_pll:altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll"

set_instance_assignment -name MATCH_PLL_COMPENSATION_CLOCK ON -to "pll:u_pll|pll_0002:pll_inst|altera_pll:altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL"

The first one was generated by choosing a node in assignment editor.

The second one was copied and pasted into the assignment editor from the info that in Warning (177007).

However, I got another warning for this command:

Warning (171167): Found invalid Fitter assignments. See the Ignored Assignments panel in the Fitter Compilation Report for more information.

So, this command didn't work, though I thought the clock output was correct.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee
I extracted the command from my PLL design built in Quartus version 18.1. You should see the clock name "~outclk_wire[0]". set_instance_assignment -name MATCH_PLL_COMPENSATION_CLOCK ON -to "pll_150out:pll_150out_inst|pll_150out_0002:pll_150out_inst|altera_pll:altera_pll_i|outclk_wire[0]" Another way to find its clock output name is from Fitter report. Go to Fitter>Resource section>Global & other fast signals> find that corresponding PLL's signal suffix with "outclk_wire"
0 Kudos
RLee42
Novice

Hi GNg,

Thank you and I found it at last.

Best regards,

Ross

0 Kudos