FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

"UNKNOWN_NO_JTAG_ID" message showing while auto detect option in FPGA on JTAG mode.

RT0001
Novice

Hi All,

I was working with Altera Flex 6K FPGA custom board with EPC2 programming device with Altera Quartus 2 v9.0 and USB_Blaster. For testing the programming in JTAG mode, we just removed the EPC2 device and connected as per the diagram given in attachment.

While trying with the current setup, during Auto Detect option, am getting a message under device as "UNKNOWN_NO_JTAG_ID". Please find the screenshot in attachment.

Can you please help me on this to resolve the issue..

Please let know if any connection mistake involved.

Regards

0 Kudos
12 Replies
SreekumarR_G_Intel
Hello Roopak, Can i know board you working on is development kit or custom board ? reason i am asking this question is there may be some other device in the chain that might configured to access the EPC2 device. Can I know when you solder back the EPC2 device are you seeing same or similar issue with JTAG ? Thank you , Regards, Sree
0 Kudos
RT0001
Novice

Hi sreekumar.regu.girijakumari,

Thanks for the response :)

The board I am working is a custom board of FLEX 6K, EPF6016ATC100-3 with EPC2 device, and using AHDL codes. I already have a .pof file with config device EPC2. When I am trying with Quartus II v9.0 tool to generate a .pof file with EPC2, showing error that EPC2 cant configure with FLEX 6K devices. I have raised some tickets regarding this issue also, but haven't got proper solution. I cross checked the schematic also. So I believe there is no other device which configure to access EPC2 device.

I have tried the .sof file to program while EPC2 device was present as per the original design, but it was not working. For this custom board, the JTAG pins are directly connected to only EPC2 device. So I haven't solder it back the EPC2 device.

Can you please guide me either to generate a .pof file for FLEX 6k device for EPC2 device, or to solve the JTAG programming issue.

Regards

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello Roopak,

Sure, Quartus can create the pof file based on the configuration setting in the "Device and Pin Options". But you can convert the .pof file from the sof in Quartus.

In Quartus , File -> Convert Programming -> In there select the format of the file and Device which you going to flash the .pof file.

I dont understand why you are not able to flash the .sof file in the custom board after you remove epc2. As of I understood from your message JTAG is detecting the device.

One more note : Is this hardware board know to work right ? Just curiosity ..I get a chance to gone through one document. Li looks EPC2 is not listed for Flex6K device.Can you look at the page 6 in the PDF and Table 2 ? It is mentioned i the document Flex 6K wont support by EPC2.

I am attaching the document for your reference

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cfg/cfg_cf52004.pdf

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

RT0001
Novice

Hello sreekumar.regu.girijakumari,

I have tried in both device and configuration option and Convert programming file options. With these options i could generate for EPC1 and EPC1441 devices.All these options shows Flex 6K cannot be configured with EPC2. I had already gone through a lot documents including this and I could find that Flex 6K wont support EPC2. Actually this is my biggest problem.

The custom board with me is FLEX 6K and EPC2 is configured with it. The .pof file given for this board was configured for EPC2 itself and it is successfully programming to the board. Its tested an verified and its a real time example that EPC2 can work with FLEX6K but don't know how.

Somebody managed to generate it and I was searching for the procedure/configuration change for this.

That's the reason why I removed EPC2 device from the board, so that i can program via JTAG, but this attempt ends with the error "UNKNOWN_NO_JTAG_ID". Any idea about this error also?? 

Note: I am using USB blaster and the attachment I have given for the JTAG connection, its given for BitBlaster/ByteBlaster. Does it have any impact? Is there any other connection diagram specified to FLEX 6k?  

Regards

Roopak

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello Roopak,

Ok , let me check with my team members and come back to you . Meanwhile can you let me know that you were programming the sof file not pof file into FPGA via JTAG directly ?

Thank you,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
RT0001
Novice

I have used .pof file when board had EPC2 device which was successful. After removing EPC2, i have used .sof file itself in the JTAG mode. Tried .sof file in passive serial mode also but that was also not working.

Regards

Roopak

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello Roopak,

.sof is directly cram bits , which should work irrespective of the configuration mode. Since the JTAG is highest priority i am not sure why it is giving error for you. Do you have more boards ? if so can you check ?

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
RT0001
Novice

I have used JTAG mode itself. I don't have any other board to check JTAG mode. I am using USB blaster and the attachment I have given for the JTAG connection, its given for BitBlaster/ByteBlaster. Does it have any impact?

Is there any other JTAG connection diagram for USB blaster, specified to FLEX 6k? 

Regards

Roopak

0 Kudos
RT0001
Novice

Regards

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello Roopak,

Here is link that answer embedded for bit or byte blaster question ..

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/638.html?wapkw=flex+6000+jtag

Also below link reference for FLEX 6000 device JTAG , Can you go through page 34 in pdf , information about JATG setting on quartus

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an039.pdf?wapkw=flex+6000+jtag

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
RT0001
Novice

Thanks for this reference.

Let me cross check these details with the connections we made.

Please let me know if you got any option to configure EPC2 with FLEX 6K, EPF6016ATC100-3 device.

I tried in MAX+PLUS 2 v10.2 for this, but compilation failed and showing "current license file does not include EPF6016ATC100-3 compilation". Registered in website for license, still waiting for one week to get it.

Regards

Roopak

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello Roopak,

I am not sure about the License issue. About the EPC2 device , as you already know in datasheet is very clear that EPC2 is not supported by the Flex6000K and I am not sure how it done before that you saying it is working?

Would it possible to give me more info on the same ?

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos