FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

rapidIO in DE4 or Stratix IV GX Dev Kits

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am looking for a board with internal transceiver for using the rapidIO ipcore. I've found these boards but its user guide don't show if they are able for working with rapidIO. I would like to know if I can use them for rapiIO. And if they are able which port will be used? the same of PCIe? 

Best regards
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am looking for a board with internal transceiver for using the rapidIO ipcore. I've found these boards but its user guide don't show if they are able for working with rapidIO. I would like to know if I can use them for rapiIO. And if they are able which port will be used? the same of PCIe? 

--- Quote End ---  

You would need to read the Serial RapidIO Megacore users guide to see what pins are used. 

For 1.25Gbps its possible that LVDS pins can be used. 

For higher the transceiver pins can be used. 

On the Stratix IV GX Development kit, there are 8 high-speed transceivers and LVDS on one HSMC connector, and 6 high-speed transceivers and LVDS on the other HSMC connector. The PCIe connector has another x8 high-speed transceivers. Samtech has HSMC-to-SMA and PCIe-to-SMA breakout cables, so you can access all the transceiver signals by SMA connectors. I have been using these interfaces at 5Gbps and higher without trouble. I have not used Serial RapidIO though. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So, I need a LP-serial 4x RapidIO. Thus can I use any of these transceivers? 

And what about the DE4 dev board is it able (it's cheaper)?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So, I need a LP-serial 4x RapidIO. Thus can I use any of these transceivers? 

And what about the DE4 dev board is it able (it's cheaper)? 

--- Quote End ---  

Please don't quote things like "LP-serial", it means nothing to people who do not use that specification. Provide 'real' numbers, like lane rates. 

Googling LP-serial x4 RapidIO ... 

http://www.rapidio.org/data/specs/serialspec_v_1pt2.pdf 

Given the lane speeds and use of 8/10B encoding, you would use transceivers on the boards. 

Both the Stratix IV GX development kit and the DE4 board can be used to implement the serial RapidIO protocol. 

Before buying a board, do yourself a favor and implement a design using Quartus and simulate the IP using Modelsim. You can download the pinout files for either kit. That'll help you decide whether or not what you want to do is possible, and it costs you nothing. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok. you helped me very much.  

Thank you.
0 Kudos