FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
4953 Discussions

simple frame buffer to vga on DE1-SOC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi guys, 

I'm a bit of a novice to qsys and the De1-soc so i was wondering if someone could help me. I'm interesting in reading data from an sd card and using a frame buffer to view it on the vga output of the cyclone V de1-soc. Is there anyone here who can provide a sample qsys design of how this is supposed to look like? Id image it would pretty quick for someone experienced with qsys to set this up. 

Thanks a lot for any help!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You may check into the following reference design link at Altera web to see if can find any similar design that suit your requirement: 

https://www.altera.com/products/reference-designs/all-reference-designs.html
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Ok thank you but I didn't seem to find anything on the link provided :(

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Several of the Terasic demo board CDs have demos for VGA. I don't know about the DE1-SOC, but some of the other DE series boards have VGA demos. You will need to use a processor either with linux or without to operate the SD card. You have an ARM already on the SOC, it would work. Start with the GHRD for the DE1-SOC and add your VGA frame buffer to it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Dear all, 

I want to manually start VGA output using Frame Reader and Clocked Video Output. 

As a reference I'm using project form SystemCD: DE1-SoC_v.3.1.1_SystemCD\Demonstrations\SOC_FPGA\DE1_SOC_Linux_FB. (so there is no need to attach  

The original design is working correctly with DE1_SoC_FB (displaying console) 

Then I change SD card image to DE1_SoC_SD (simple OS without any video) and try to configure FrameReader manually: 

# include <stdio.h> # include <unistd.h> # include <fcntl.h> # include <sys/mman.h> # include "hwlib.h" # include "socal/socal.h" # include "socal/hps.h" # include "socal/alt_gpio.h" # include "hps_0.h" # include "frame_reader.h" # define REG_BASE 0xFF200000 # define REG_SPAN 0x00200000 void* virtual_base; void* video_addr; void* led_addr; void* sw_addr; int fd; int switches; int i,j; uint8_t video_ram; int main(){ fd = open("/dev/mem", (O_RDWR|O_SYNC)); virtual_base = mmap(NULL, REG_SPAN, (PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE), MAP_SHARED, fd, REG_BASE); led_addr = virtual_base + LED_PIO_BASE; sw_addr=virtual_base + DIPSW_PIO_BASE; video_addr = virtual_base + ALT_VIP_VFR_VGA_BASE; *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_BASE_ADDR) = (uint32_t)video_ram; usleep(100); *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_WORDS) = 1024*768*4*8/128;//p. 13-1/2 - pixels*planes*bits_per_pixel_per_plane/master bus width *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_SINGLE_CYCLE_CPATERNS) = 1024*768;//p. 13-1 - color planes = number of pixels *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_WIDTH) = 1024; *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_HEIGHT) = 768; *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_INTERLACED) = 3; *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_SELECT) = ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_SELECT_0; *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL) = ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL_GO; for(i=0;i<1024;i++){ for(j=0;j<768;j++){ video_ram=i+j; } } /*while(1){ *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL) = ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL_GO; *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL) = 0; }*/ while(1){ switches=*(uint32_t *)sw_addr; *(uint32_t *)led_addr=switches; usleep(1000000); printf("%u %zu %zu\n", switches, *((uint32_t *)(video_addr)+ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_BASE_ADDR), (uint32_t)video_ram); } return 0; }  

# ifndef _ALTERA_FRAME_READER_H # define _ALTERA_FRAME_READER_H //#define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_ 0x # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL 0x0 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL_GO 0x1 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_CONTROL_INT_EN 0x2 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_STATUS 0x4 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_STATUS_STATUS 0x1 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_INTERRUPT 0x8 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_INTERRUPT_RESET 0x1 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_SELECT 0xC # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_SELECT_0 0x0 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_SELECT_1 0x1 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_BASE_ADDR 0x10 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_WORDS 0x14 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_SINGLE_CYCLE_CPATERNS 0x18 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_RESERVED 0x1C # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_WIDTH 0x20 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_HEIGHT 0x24 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_0_INTERLACED 0x28 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_1_BASE_ADDR 0x2C # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_1_WORDS 0x30 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_1_SINGLE_CYCLE_CPATERNS 0x34 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_1_RESERVED 0x38 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_1_WIDTH 0x3C # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_1_HEIGHT 0x40 # define ALTERA_FRAME_READER_FRAME_1_INTERLACED 0x44 # endif /* _ALTERA_FRAME_READER_H */  

But VGA screen shows "No Signal". I modified the code in different ways, according to several therads on this forum, but nothing helped - changing interlacing, words, single cycle patterns etc. 

Also nowhere i found complete QSys design with working code - sometimes there is a design but without working simple code, sometimes code reported to work, but without details of the design. 

Thank you in advise for any help.